Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2013 VE Audio Install - Suggestions Needed.

SimoHDK

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE Commodore SV6 Z-Series - Manual
Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade the sound system in my new VE Commodore, the stock system is terrible. Below is what my current ideas are for a new system, just wondering what people think and if they have any suggestions / comments. I've made an attempt to order it from the headunit and down the chain of electronics.

1. Headunit = Stays the same (Holden IQ), therefore will need a LOC.

2. LOC = AudioControl LC6i ($150 from U.S)

3. Amp = Alpine PDX-V9 - 5 Channel Amp. 4x100w RMS + 1x500w RMS for Sub (Currently on sale for $549, down from RRP of $899)

4. Front Components = Alpine SPX-17PRO (100w RMS each) (RRP $699) - $350 from U.S
Woofer Mounting Depth = 64mm, Stock speakers are 70mm. Tweets are 47mm Wide vs 35mm stock, but they should still fit in the space I would think.

5. Rear Coaxial = Alpine Type R SPR-60 (100w RMS each) (RRP $229) - $140 from U.S
Mounting depth 59mm, stock speakers are again 70mm.

6. Subwoofer = Already own an Alpine 12" Type R 600w RMS in the prefab Alpine Box, So I'll be using this.

According to my research, these speakers should all fit without spacer rings. Should be fine?

With the PDX-V9 amp, it perfectly suits all the speakers and is slightly under the RMS for the sub, but I'm happy with this as I did the same previously in my old car. I know many people don't like the Alpine gear (Especially compared to price), but I think it is reasonable with the current amplifier sale and purchasing the speakers from overseas.

The LC6i LOC has 6 channels, 2 inputs will be from front door L/R the other 4 will be from the rear doors (for rear speakers L/R and then for the sub L/R)

Suggestions welcome. Cheers!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Suggestions? None. I think you will find yourself to be very happy with that mate. Lots of people will give you amp and speaker recommendations but at the end of the day...it's matter of taste. Just don't go into a store and try to choose between little differences in speakers as the moment it hits your car door then it all changes. Still have a listen...

I like the amp. It's power output has been divided nicely. 100wrms for doors (sweet!) and 500wrms for the sub (perfecto!)

I haven't used that LOC personally but looking at it's specs...it says all the right numbers for me.

In a VE 4ga cable will be plenty (8ga would almost cover it) so wiring will be a piece of cake. and with that output into the doors please do not use the stock speaker wiring (No idea if you intended to or not.)

Only suggestion I can make is.... install it yesterday!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Wagon
fit those products most days of the week all good choices, you should do as suggested and listen to the speakers to compare sound.
good set up

SimoHDK

Reaction score
Members Ride
In a VE 4ga cable will be plenty (8ga would almost cover it) so wiring will be a piece of cake. and with that output into the doors please do not use the stock speaker wiring (No idea if you intended to or not.)

Only suggestion I can make is.... install it yesterday!

Well the amp has been purchased, suits my needs for such a good price. Already got plenty of 4ga around from my previous car, so I'll be using that.

Sure as hell won't be using the stock wiring lol, now need to hunt down the speakers at some good prices and get it underway (When I have some spare time!)

fit those products most days of the week all good choices, you should do as suggested and listen to the speakers to compare sound.
good set up

I'll go have a listen to these when I pickup my amp. Have you had experience fitting the SPX-17PRO's in a VE? Just wondering how well the tweeters are going to fit and if they woofer will need spacer rings etc.

Judging by this thread, the woofers should be fine as he uses the same ones with the alpine ring. Just the tweeters really...

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
In the past I have fitted some 45mm and I seem to recall room for a bit more. But please don't quote me on that.

SimoHDK

Reaction score
Members Ride
Haha I think they will judging my the amount of room under the grille, might need to makeshift some sort of mount though...

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
might need to makeshift some sort of mount though...
Yarp, thats a guarantee. Backstrap is your friend in this instance. One should do the trick and cut it in half. It comes with every cd player so if you ask at a car audio shop they will often just give it to you.

backstrap.jpg

Big_Fletch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
System sounds the goods man, Should be nice and clear as well as pump like Hell.. Only Suggestion i would make would be to dynamat around the speakers if finances permit.. I used to run a single Type-R 12" Sub in my old car off a 500wrms amp and i shook the rear-view mirror off the windscreen haha.. And that was in a Prefab box.. Keep us updated with pics as ya go with the install as well :spot on:

SimoHDK

Reaction score
Members Ride
How do you go about mounting the tweeter to the strap?

Also, what are peoples thoughts on getting a proper processor unit? E.g 3Sixty etc

System sounds the goods man, Should be nice and clear as well as pump like Hell.. Only Suggestion i would make would be to dynamat around the speakers if finances permit.. I used to run a single Type-R 12" Sub in my old car off a 500wrms amp and i shook the rear-view mirror off the windscreen haha.. And that was in a Prefab box.. Keep us updated with pics as ya go with the install as well :spot on:

Yep got dynamat going everywhere possible lol.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Speed nut...
u_type.jpg

There will be about a dozen in each pack of speakers! Slide it over one of the holes on the back strap and then you will find that the tweeter has the ability to have a screw put straight through the center of one it's own brackets and bobs your uncle.

Things like the 3Sixty are great but I would really weigh up how much of it you will use and is it worth it. 9/10 sound quality difference is minimal. It's more for the extra features.