Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2014 Calais V brake enhancements and sway bars

Justin Thomas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0
Brief intro L77 with OTR, full pacemaker exhaust system, dyno tune, change to 3.27 diff gear (calais diff gears a must do!) also harrop LSD installed and deep chev trans pan. Runs 12.7 et

Was never happy with the brakes and minor body roll has been bugging me, test drove an SS also to compare suspension and for me the Calais rides much nicer imo so decide to stick with standard shocks and springs (height does not bother me as I can take speed bumps without straddling them) also discovered only shocks vary and swaybars between calais v8 and SS 2014 (spring numbers match).

So in with the whiteline adjustable swaybar last weekend.

Also noticed brake pads had some minor heat cracks and decided to clean up alloy calipers (NZ was in lock down for four weeks)

Also decided on four T2 rotors and street performance pads to help as the pbr brakes are under performance imo after a tune, also going to dot 5.1 fluid.

This is not a track car but sees the quarter mile a few times a year...
IMG_20200430_075452.jpg
IMG_20200430_075516.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200429_160202.jpg
    IMG_20200429_160202.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 204

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
How have the Whitelines changed things and what's holes have you got them set at? Have you gone for the same balance, normally neutral to mild understeer, or dialled in some oversteer? I want to get a set myself but am a bit concerned over the huge diameter increase. From memory, at least Whiteline make the narrowest sways with the most adjustability.

Justin Thomas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0
That’s a good set of mods. T2 rotors are pretty good for the price. How did the rotor-pad package cost you?

$1000 nzd four rotors and full set performance pads plus freight overnight.

My Calais V had 2.92 diff gears and open non lsd. I fitted a factory 3.27 lsd and had the speedo calibrated. Automatic car. This basically shaved .5 sec off my quarter mile time and made a night/day difference in acceleration. I also wanted to make sure the revs remained comfortable at or around 100kph+ highway driving. Result 100% satisfied.

A bit more on the diff gears being a must do?

Justin Thomas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0
How have the Whitelines changed things and what's holes have you got them set at? Have you gone for the same balance, normally neutral to mild understeer, or dialled in some oversteer? I want to get a set myself but am a bit concerned over the huge diameter increase. From memory, at least Whiteline make the narrowest sways with the most adjustability.

Car is still on axle stands as I'm working full time from home. Car will be together tomorrow and I'll update. I replaced swaybars on my 2015 sonata turbo limited and it totally transformed the car on twisty tight roads so expecting a result here also. Set medium rear and 1 setting from firm in front for first test run.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
thicker swaybars are good in the VE-VF as they are a heavy car and are quite small from factory, the first corner u turn after is the best stays much flatter and ive only got mine on the softest setting so far

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
thicker swaybars are good in the VE-VF as they are a heavy car and are quite small from factory, the first corner u turn after is the best stays much flatter and ive only got mine on the softest setting so far
What brand/size are you running? How's the cornering on bad roads, any sideways skip or loss of traction over imperfections?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
What brand/size are you running? How's the cornering on bad roads, any sideways skip or loss of traction over imperfections?
i got the pedders ones think it was 26mm front and 22 rear i think, i have there coilovers also so ive played with the springs, shocks and swaybars to get it balanced, havnt pushed it far yet have to get to a track after my build is done but just on the roads it was quite good can dial out alot of the front understeer turns real good now almost too pointy at speed

Justin Thomas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0

Test drive today to bed in brakes. Very happy with brakes. I also changed fluid to dot 5.1 and have a great firm pedal now.

Swaybar part number Whilteline BHF62Z 26mms front set to softest setting. Moved from soft to one step firmer and back again. Basically no body roll around 60-80 km corners now.

Rear set to soft Whiteline BHR82XZ 22mms

Set soft mode front and rear after adjusting, I found on wet road (when at the one step firmer on front) this made it feel slightly twitchy. Now happy with results at soft.

Car feels perfect so far. Lovely soft ride and nice cornering. Ever so slightly firmer ride over bumps.

Last edited:

Lewy_88

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF CalaisV 6.0L Wagon
Test drive today to bed in brakes. Very happy with brakes. I also changed fluid to dot 5.1 and have a great firm pedal now.

Swaybar part number Whilteline BHF62Z 26mms front set to softest setting. Moved from soft to one step firmer and back again. Basically no body roll around 60-80 km corners now.

Rear set to soft Whiteline BHR82XZ 22mms

Set soft mode front and rear after adjusting, I found on wet road (when at the one step firmer on front) this made it feel slightly twitchy. Now happy with results at soft.

Car feels perfect so far. Lovely soft ride and nice cornering. Ever so slightly firmer ride over bumps.
Great thread. I have the Calais Wagon 6.0L. Do you have more info on your comment regarding the diff gearing in the Calais?