Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2014 SSV Sportwagon Genuine Towbar Issue

lamb_daiquiri

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sportwagon
G'day,

I purchased a secondhand genuine 2100kg towbar kit from a wrecker and fitted it up but the trailer lights don't work. I've continuity tested it to make sure all the wires are connected on the loom and checked that the module has power and ground. All checks out but no lights.

Does it need to be activated in the BCM or have I got a faulty module? I expected it would be plug and play.

Cheers

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If you don’t have a towbar option within MyLink (can’t remember where) so you can set whether the towball is inserted (for reverse sensors to not incessantly beep) then it may be that you still need some BCM programmed which may sort the lamp issue.

There is a thread about towbars that contains a link to an accessories manual which amoungst other things lists what is done for a tow bar install...

[edited to add link to mentioned thread]

Last edited:

lamb_daiquiri

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sportwagon
Thanks for the reply, I have flicked through a thread on towbar issues but they weren't exactly the same. I could not find any towbar options within MyLink so perhaps I do need to have something configured on the BCM. Are there tools for the common man that can do this or is GDS (i.e. the dealer) the only option? With other cars I've had these tools have been fairly affordable, i.e. OPCOM for the old Astra I had but I'm yet to turn anything up for the Commodore.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Trailer module needs to be programmed

lamb_daiquiri

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sportwagon
If I can't do it myself where's the best place and approximate cost to get that done in the southern suburbs of Adelaide?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@lamb_daiquiri, as RiCeY stated, it needs to be programed.

From the Accessories pdf , found in the towbar canbus module thread i linked above, within Section 3. Exterior Structural Accessories, you have subsection 8 to subsection 13 which lists the tow bar install itself (for various vehicle models) and within Section 4. Electrical Accessories, subsection 3 to subsection 5 lists the trailer wiring harness package install (for various wiring assemblies). The later wiring harness package install is where you find the pearler "once the installation has been carried out, configure the TIM Module using TIS2 Web SPS" which means you need a GM proprietary service tool to do the configuration itself, so vehicle owners can't do as they can't get the GM proprietary tools...

So, any Holden dealer can do the configuration for you but each dealer can charge what they like (as it's not part of any fixed price service schedule). Best bet is to ring around and ask what they will charge, hopefully they wont charge you more that 1/4 hour ($25?) and definitely should not be more than 1/2 hour labour (imo)...

lamb_daiquiri

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sportwagon
Ah, thanks, sorry I missed the link and I hadn't seen that thread. I'll drop that file in my archive. I guess I'll ring around on Monday.

Many thanks people!

lamb_daiquiri

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sportwagon
So I got quoted 137$/h at one dealer and $89- to do the job at another. That's on top of the 330 I paid for the secondhand unit + wiring and the half a day I spent fitting it. I guess it's still ~1/2 getting it all done by the dealer and I know there's a nice neat hole cut in the bumper. At least I'll be able to use it after Tuesday next week.

Anyone know a good place to buy the bumper hole trim? Hitch hole cover? I've seen them both on ebay around the $40- mark each. Seems like a lot for a small piece of plastic, particularly the Hitch hole cover which would be pretty high volume.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@lamb_daiquiri, seems the first mob didn't say how long it will actually take them to program that a bar is fitted so just want you to sign over a blank cheque whci they'll fill in? The second mob seem to imply it wil take 40 minutes to flip the towbar connection bit based on their $89 charge.

I really can't see how it could possibly take more than 10 minutes, which at $137/hr should still be less than $25. It's simply capitalist overcharging since we've been locked out of our own vehicles firmware and can't do these stupidly simple tasks ourselves.

It's the same philosophy with gouging on the bumper trim and hitch cover parts where charging what the market will bear is considered good practice, just like the axiom "greed is good"... and we know where that ended in 2008...

Who knows, one day quality consumer accessible 3d printers may temper sellers greed in the case of spare parts but i suspect we're stuck with service overcharging based on us being locked out from our own vehicle's firmware..... The later will only get worse in time with cryptograph and software signing replacing simple softwre checksums...

lamb_daiquiri

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sportwagon
Yes, my thoughts too on the price. A bit of a rort but there is no alternative. I guess that is motivation for a suitably skilled bunch of software engineers to get together and build an alternative. The next generation of PCM Hack? Maybe I should've studied electrical/ software engineering instead although I imagine it's a mountain of work to pull it all apart....