Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2014 VF SV6, electric steering and wheel alignments

Thrakka

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Exec. S2, 2014 VF SV6
Hi everyone, just here for a bit of insight and information. Took my car to Holden to check the steering as it is feeling very heavy and just feels “off”, and I’m hearing an audible almost creaking (from behind the dash) sound coming from the steering wheel when turning.

They told me I need to replace the whole steering rack and steering column to a value of $3500 as my car is out of warranty (even though I have extended warranty on it..)

When I asked why a car with 65000km needs to have the rack and column replaced they asked me if I had it wheel aligned elsewhere, to which I replied yes. They stated that due to the electric steering on the VFs if the WA is done incorrectly that can cause the issue??

Anyone heard of this before?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
They are full of **** mate. If it is the rack, it's a known issue and Holden will replace it, at no cost to you, even if out of warranty. It's a safety issue, so get it repaired. BTW, it is caused by water ingress at a electrical connection.
There is plenty of discussion on here re the issue. Including a tech bulletin or similar. Call Holden customer care if you do no good.

Thrakka

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks very much for the info. It didn’t sound overly legit to me, but I’m not an expert by any means.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Has the power steering ever stopped working when driving around? Keep in mind when you ring them that the ones that get replaced for free have...........hint hint

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Has the power steering ever stopped working when driving around? Keep in mind when you ring them that the ones that get replaced for free have...........hint hint
Good point!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Almost sounds as if they don't want to diagnose it and are just replacing everything in the hope you'll either pay so they don't have to, or that you'll think it's too much and go away.

Steering column sound is sometimes remedied on older Commos by touching up some grease where the steering column goes through the firewall in the engine bay.

Maybe ask what their evidence is that it was done wrong.

Last edited:

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
When I asked why a car with 65000km needs to have the rack and column replaced they asked me if I had it wheel aligned elsewhere, to which I replied yes. They stated that due to the electric steering on the VFs if the WA is done incorrectly that can cause the issue??

I assume they are referring to any sensor resets that may need to be done on the VFs after a wheel alignment. A service dealer can fill you in on what is needed on a VF after a WA (if anything) if you ask.
http://www.sasreset.com/news/faq.htm
http://www.sasreset.com/features/wheel-alignment-evolution.htm

But like others with the problem VFs, your description suggests you are headed for steering failure which is a product safety failure. So follow Cudas advice because Holden have to rectify this fault at no cost to you. If they try to fob you off on warranty go to another dealer. They will likely make more profit out of it if they can get you to pay for the repair and replacement than they will if it is done under Holden warranty. It's not Holden trying you on here but the unscrupulous service dealer that knows all about the VF steering issues.

It does not matter either if the voluntary factory warranty has run out on your car because with a fault like you and others have on the VFs, Holden are obliged to fix it under Statutory warranty legislation.

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
After alignment the steering angle sensor needs to be reset & a power steering relearn performed. Even if these weren't carried out the worst that would happen is a few dash lights appear ( stability control, abs) but not rack failure

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
iaculis pulvinar blandit, placerat amet mi cubilia mattis gravida lorem cras ultrices pretium sagittis eros curae velit condimentum, aenean adipiscing tellus augue volutpat augue senectus et vehicula, nec rutrum purus viverra vulputate gravida magna eu pulvinar ligula luctus condimentum.

Last edited:

Thrakka

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thank you all for the replies. The guys at the dealership are going to try and get it replaced under warranty - hoping to hear from them tomorrow. If not a good outcome I will follow up with Holden customer care and/or another dealership.

I did have a dash light come up, looks like a ((P)) with a spanner underneath.. gonna ask about that tomorrow as well.

To further add to this, the steering is mostly heavy with moments of very light steering, sometimes causing me to over steer and I have to correct it quickly. To anyone watching me drive it would come across like I’m drunk or something as it can result in me swerving pretty serverely, hence why I brought it in to the dealer to look at.

@woooo I did have a pull to the left before I got it aligned, which rectified the issue but am now dealing with this problem. Definitely get them to check it out