Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2014 VF SV6 - need new rotors ?

Thrakka

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Exec. S2, 2014 VF SV6
Hey everyone, after the help I got with my last post I wanted to ask the hive mind another question again.

Put my car in with the dealership to fix the issue with my steering, get a call later the same day saying that I need to replace the rotors and pads on the front. Pads I can understand.. but rotors?

I don't ride the brakes, I don't hoon / brake hard constantly. Only done 65,000 kms.. My last commo had a set of rotors for 100,000+ kms and I only replaced for peace of mind. They're saying that the rotors have developed a big lip on them and can't be machined..

Is this a common thing for stock VF brakes? Or am I being taken for another ride on the wallet train.. Quoted $600 for pads and rotors (front only).

I had a look on the forums and couldn't find a post with the same question.

Any help/advice will be muchly appreciated.

Ausroamer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
My wife has a near identical car (14 SV6 67,000kms) and the rotors only have a very minor lip. The pads still have plenty of life in them (I would expect another 20,000kms) and I'll be replacing pads only when the time comes, unless the rotors wear considerably more in that time. The rotors can normally be machined, which is what I'll do if it's required.

Thrakka

Reaction score
Members Ride
My wife has a near identical car (14 SV6 67,000kms) and the rotors only have a very minor lip. The pads still have plenty of life in them (I would expect another 20,000kms) and I'll be replacing pads only when the time comes, unless the rotors wear considerably more in that time. The rotors can normally be machined, which is what I'll do if it's required.

Thanks for that, I called around and got a quote from Pedders to get new rotors and ceramic pads for just over $500. Will most likely go with that option as I have a mate with ceramics and they’re phenomenal.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Have a look and measure how pad and rotor is left. You might need them or you might not...

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Stock pads have squeal tabs that are impossible not to notice when you've worn them down. If you're not constantly hearing squealing then you are fine on that front. There is still plenty of life left in the pad even when squealing but its too annoying to put up with in my experience.

As for rotors, if they had a big lip in them you'd feel it through the braking. It's not something that would go unnoticed. The rotor should have its minimum and maximum thickness printed on it so you could do yourself a favor and pop the wheel off and measure with a micrometer.

I'd check the for sale section on this site as there are plenty of guys taking off their standard vf brake kits and upgrading to brembo or bigger. I'd imagine you'd be able to snag a set of slightly used brakes, pads rotors and all for not much.

Thrakka

Reaction score
Members Ride
Stock pads have squeal tabs that are impossible not to notice when you've worn them down. If you're not constantly hearing squealing then you are fine on that front. There is still plenty of life left in the pad even when squealing but its too annoying to put up with in my experience.

As for rotors, if they had a big lip in them you'd feel it through the braking. It's not something that would go unnoticed. The rotor should have its minimum and maximum thickness printed on it so you could do yourself a favor and pop the wheel off and measure with a micrometer.

I'd check the for sale section on this site as there are plenty of guys taking off their standard vf brake kits and upgrading to brembo or bigger. I'd imagine you'd be able to snag a set of slightly used brakes, pads rotors and all for not much.

Thank you very much!! I had no idea there was even a sales section on this site!

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Tell them no thanks, then get a second opinion from another shop.
Funny story. Some years back while one of my commodores was getting warranty work done i got a call from the service department to tell me my brakes needed doing. Apparently my brakes we so bad that it wasn't safe for me to drive it home from the dealer. Only thing was....... about a month before that I'd had the front and rear brakes done elsewhere. I told the guy on the phone this and after an awkward silence he said he'd look into it and call me back. He didn't.
My guess, they looked at the K's on it (about 65k at the time) and without actually looking at the brakes thought that's about right for brakes so we'll tell him they're stuffed. That was the last service i got done at that dealer.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Based on my experience with a VE, even pads last a long time on VE Commodores. I sold my VE MY10 SV6 3 years ago with 110,000 Km and I'm pretty sure it was on original pads and rotors and both were still looking OK (I bought the car used with 45,000 Km on it). I'd get the car back and check them out for yourself. I can understand though when services maybe 15,000 Km apart there is tendancy to replace pads much earlier than is really needed, even if the dealer is honest, but they just don't want customers complaining they didn't last until next scheduled service.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Take the wheels off and check it yourself.
It's VERY easy to see if the pads are right down, and if the rotors need replacing.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
You'll get at least one skim out of those rotors and pads generally last a lot longer if you don't drive hard.

Minimum thickness for rotors is 28mm but they need to be 28.75 after skimming to be in spec.