Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2015 VF SS-V - camming and exhaust question

wagon37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline Wagon, VZ Executive Wagon
Hi folks,

First post here - not sure if I am in the right room. Mods: feel free to move this as required (thanks!)

I test drove a 2015 VF SS-V auto wagon today in Perth with the 6.0L engine and am pretty keen on it. I was just seeking some guidance on what kind of options I'll have for camming and exhaust.

I wouldn't mind that nice lumpy idle sound and just generally more noise. I was struck by how quiet it was as stock.

Are there good options for this on an auto wagon? I've heard auto complicates the process. Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

Maz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R M6
Welcome

From the research I've done (no real world experience here...all based on feedback from this forum or the youtubes), Hurricane Headers with a Manta cat back, Di Filippo exhaust (I understand these blokes are closing down), or Pace Maker systems make the best noise.

In regards to cams, there are literally 1000's of options...if its to large you will need a hi stall in your auto to prevent surge.
I'm not a VCM fanboy, but this link has a pretty good summary of what to expect from their cams...most cam suppliers provide a similar table on their websites - https://vcmstore.com.au/collections/camshaft/products/vcm-performance-camshaft. This vid might also be useful:

EDIT: Heres the VCM sales bloke talking about one of their cams in an auto wagon. Covers exhaust drone, cam size, surge

Given your in Perth, I'd checkout (in no particular order, again no personal experience) http://www.marksworkshop.com.au/ and http://www.streetquick.com.au/ (awesome build diary...worth the read) and have a chat with local blokes that know these cars well - they will be able to gauge what you're after and recommend a good combination.

Last edited:

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
as its a 6.0L you will need to look into DOD delete also

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
as its a 6.0L you will need to look into DOD delete also
He has an L77, doesn’t need to remove AFM, just widen his shopping outside the single brand cam supplier that his mate reckons. There’s dozens of AFM cams to suit the L77, all characteristics including long life lumpy lobes up to 600 HP.
Thing is VCM is still pushing 20 year old cathedral head specs (seriously old school), presumably because market takes a while to take up cam descriptor of that which sounds good / goes alright.
The main thing to watch when specifiying any LS cam is that 90%+ installs are massive duration “race cams”, when the best cam for our car NA over the 1/4 is well proven early 20s ~112 ICL and upper mid .500” lift.
Low CR high RPM big overlap will definitely get the dyno queen tiara, but maybe it’s EIVC short intake reasonable lift and usable torque you need.

slamNcam

Reaction score
Members Ride
AU Fairmont - Stage 3 slammer and cammer
Hi folks,

First post here - not sure if I am in the right room. Mods: feel free to move this as required (thanks!)

I test drove a 2015 VF SS-V auto wagon today in Perth with the 6.0L engine and am pretty keen on it. I was just seeking some guidance on what kind of options I'll have for camming and exhaust.

I wouldn't mind that nice lumpy idle sound and just generally more noise. I was struck by how quiet it was as stock.

Are there good options for this on an auto wagon? I've heard auto complicates the process. Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

Wagon37, welcome to the forum.

I actually was in a similar stage as you a while back and wanted a bit more oomph! I actually went with a stage 1 cam at first. Very impressive. However, after a while that really wasn't cutting the mustard! The last straw was when I was overtaken by a very powerful 1 series BMW (I think it was the 1 series, looks a bit like a ferrari FF). So from there I went and got the lady supercharged. Now operating an LS3 and absolutely mincing, with around 570+ HP. I would recommend trying out a stage 1 and from there considering a 2/3. Also have you considered slamming the lady? I saw some great results, being lower, but it may just be personal preference.

Also some of the feedback you have gotten here is great! Would be good to know if you had success and took any of the advice.

All the best and goodluck!

SnC

Current Cars:
EL Falcon in Bostom Steamer Red
VF Commodore 2015 - Candy Paint - LS3 - Slammed