Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2015 VF SV6 LACK OF POWER (FLAT SPOT)

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I feel like i have to race around for it to drive like it should, almost like the revs are lower then should be if that makes sense. I have tried sports mode, but it doesnt seem to make much difference, it shifts through the gears quicker but still not as responsive in acceleration as i feel it should be. I have test driven other SV6 from other yards and they didnt have this issue, not sure how i didnt notice this before purchasing it (wife loved the color), lol...

With the sentiment that you fell like you have to race it around..... I could similarly say much the same as my 09 AFM SS. At light or moderate throttle openings it is a sedate drive. Any one could jump in it and if moderate throttle openings barely be aware it's a V8. They are definitely built with economy mind set, but give them a bit more throttle they'll get up and go.

Last edited:

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
I'm afraid I can't offer specific advice other than I've never experienced a flat spot when accelerating in my VF1 Calais V V6. I normally do drive it like a grandpa (since I am one), but occasionally let 'er rip when overtaking an even slower grandpa out in the country. The only time there's the slightest hesitation is when I plant the right foot and it thinks whether to drop 2 or 3 gears, but once it's decided it's full steam ahead. The electronics are pretty complicated on these cars but I don't think a flat spot like you're describing is 'normal'. Oh, and I usually fill up with 91, and haven't had a problem so far (touch wood).

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I'm thinking pretty much along the same lines, saw your post after I put up my last post. Reminds me of my old VXII Calais 5.7 probably being 4 speed auto doesn't help, but sometimes you'd floor that and think where or where is my 5.7 litre V8, then whammo it'd change down and off you go.

To be fair, the LS1 was reknowned for that rotten flat spot on acceleration. My old WH did exactly the same thing.

occtec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 MY15
I'm afraid I can't offer specific advice other than I've never experienced a flat spot when accelerating in my VF1 Calais V V6. I normally do drive it like a grandpa (since I am one), but occasionally let 'er rip when overtaking an even slower grandpa out in the country. The only time there's the slightest hesitation is when I plant the right foot and it thinks whether to drop 2 or 3 gears, but once it's decided it's full steam ahead. The electronics are pretty complicated on these cars but I don't think a flat spot like you're describing is 'normal'. Oh, and I usually fill up with 91, and haven't had a problem so far (touch wood).

Haha, no problem thanks for sharing your experience, i wish mine was the same. Ive used 98 for years so id feel like im really down grading the quality of my fuel going to 91 though ;-)

occtec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 MY15
Hey guys so i dropped into Holden Dealer again today and had a winge, they advised me to drive around for a few weeks and see how i go as the transmiision has the adapt learning feature as some of you have mentioned & considering others have driven this ride before me it kinda makes sense. So ill give it a few weeks and see if there is any change. On another note i noticed the air filter was clogged and needed replacing so i purchased one from Holden he asked $66 for a GMH brand but then offered me AcDelco for a third of the price, he said they are just as good, what are your thoughts? i also purchased some AcDelco fuel injector cleaner which ill be putting in the tank over the weekend with a full tank of 98 octane, fingers crossed. Ill keep ya's posted regarding any improvements. I mentioned to the spare parts guy what issue im having, he said that some vf's have had a module around the transmission replaced due to similar issue, interesting i thought but the service guy just laughed it off, he said 'dont you think i wouldnt fix your car if there was an issue'? he stated that they get paid for the parts and labour and they are confident that it may sort it self out after a bit of driving around for a few weeks and that they couldnt find anything out of the ordianry. Anyway if you could give me your thoughts on AcDelco vs GMH id appreciate it, i havent removed it from the box yet so can get it exchanged need be, lol... cheers

Last edited:

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey guys so i dropped into Holden Dealer again today and had a winge, they advised me to drive around for a few weeks and see how i go as the transmiision has the adapt learning feature as some of you have mentioned & considering others have driven this ride before me it kinda makes sense. So ill give it a few weeks and see if there is any change. On another note i noticed the air filter was clogged and needed replacing so i purchased one from Holden he asked $66 for a GMH brand but then offered me AcDelco for a third of the price, he said they are just as good, what are your thoughts? i also purchased some AcDelco fuel injector cleaner which ill be putting in the tank over the weekend with a full tank of 98 octane, fingers crossed. Ill keep ya's posted regarding any improvements. Another interesting thing is i told the spare parts guy what issue im having, he mentioned that some vf's have had a module around the transmission replaced due to similar issue, interesting i thought but the service guy just laughed it off, he said 'dont you think i wouldnt fix your car if there was an issue'? he stated that they get paid for the parts and labour and they are confident that it may sort it self out after a bit of driving around for a few weeks. Anyway if you could give me your thoughts on AcDelco vs GMH id appreciate it, i havent removed it from the box yet so can get it exchanged need be, lol... cheers

AC Delco are GMH genuine parts. They don't carry two different air filters at two seperate price points. They're taking the piss. Go elsewhere in future is my advice.

$66 bucks for an air filter..wankers.

occtec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 MY15
AC Delco are GMH genuine parts. They don't carry two different air filters at two seperate price points. They're taking the piss. Go elsewhere in future is my advice.

Yeah i thought that was a bit odd, thanks for the advice. I was also thinking of cleaning out the throttle body, is there any precautionary measures i need to take? I have a can of Nulon throttle body cleaner sitting in the shed, thought i might put it to good use. Yeah i paid $22.40 for the AcDelco in the end

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It will be fine. Out of curiosity did it come in a Holden box or red n blue AC Delco box?
Either way put it in and chuck your dirty one out.
Shoulda asked the tec why he didn't already do that ;)
Lesson to learn from this if you want it done right do it yourself whenever you can.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah i thought that was a bit odd, thanks for the advice. I was also thinking of cleaning out the throttle body, is there any precautionary measures i need to take? I have a can of Nulon throttle body cleaner sitting in the shed, thought i might put it to good use. Yeah i paid $22.40 for the AcDelco in the end
I've always just used throttle body cleaner spray and manually actuated the butterfly with my fingers. Give it a good wipe out afterwards and use a toothbrush if necessary. If the thing is putrid, or the butterfly is sticking, I'd consider replacing it.

Note: I'm not advocating this method as correct, just what I've done previously with a bit of success

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Spray the cleaner on a rag and wipe all the black **** out with ignition switches off.