Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2015 VF SV6 LACK OF POWER (FLAT SPOT)

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
AC Delco are GMH genuine parts. They don't carry two different air filters at two seperate price points. They're taking the piss. Go elsewhere in future is my advice.

Actually its true. I went to a dealer to buy some V6 oil filters and the guy asked if I want the genuine one or the cheaper one... I said wtf is the difference and he tells me one is genuine gmh and the other is an aftermarket AC Delco... I took the genuine as it was only a couple of bucks more.

occtec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 MY15
It will be fine. Out of curiosity did it come in a Holden box or red n blue AC Delco box?
Either way put it in and chuck your dirty one out.
Shoulda asked the tec why he didn't already do that ;)
Lesson to learn from this if you want it done right do it yourself whenever you can.

Already fitted, yeah its the red n blue box labelled AcDelco, i reckon ill be doing all the in between stuff myself

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Actually its true. I went to a dealer to buy some V6 oil filters and the guy asked if I want the genuine one or the cheaper one... I said wtf is the difference and he tells me one is genuine gmh and the other is an aftermarket AC Delco... I took the genuine as it was only a couple of bucks more.

Not doubting what you were told mate, but AC Delco definitely aren't aftermarket. When bought from a dealer they carry GMH part numbers. AC Delco generally consist of consumable products (filters/oil/plugs etc) whereas the actual 'car parts' are stamped GMH. I've never heard of a Holden dealer selling 'aftermarket' stuff...that's what eBay is for..:D

occtec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 MY15
Not doubting what you were told mate, but AC Delco definitely aren't aftermarket. When bought from a dealer they carry GMH part numbers. AC Delco generally consist of consumable products (filters/oil/plugs etc) whereas the actual 'car parts' are stamped GMH. I've never heard of a Holden dealer selling 'aftermarket' stuff...that's what eBay is for..:D

zero_tolerance is right in what he's saying, the approach from the guy I saw today was the same. Funny thing is both part numbers were different but the AcDelco brand looked like a GMH part number, the filter it self was definitely stamped AcDelco..

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline

Yeah I was a bit surprised by it myself... He said something along the lines of one is a genuine spec and one is an aftermarket spec... The genuine one was in a plain cardboard box with a GM logo and part number, while the other one was in an AC Delco box. I just shrugged my shoulders and took the genuine one and didn't really question it further.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I've bought both genuine and Delco oil filters before. The genuine one is made in USA and Delco made in Thailand!
They are both good but it seems GM has started to go with the low cost country sourcing approach like everyone else? I know Delco is a genuine OE supplier to GM so it's a bit weird. Just helps them compete with supercheep I guess? No problem using them.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
zero_tolerance is right in what he's saying, the approach from the guy I saw today was the same. Funny thing is both part numbers were different but the AcDelco brand looked like a GMH part number, the filter it self was definitely stamped AcDelco..

AC Delco have been making parts for commodores since the VB. My understanding is that they are considered genuine parts. I know I've bought many AC components over the years with GMH part numbers, some very recently. I guess it's hard to know exactly how it all works :/

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've bought both genuine and Delco oil filters before. The genuine one is made in USA and Delco made in Thailand!
They are both good but it seems GM has started to go with the low cost country sourcing approach like everyone else? I know Delco is a genuine OE supplier to GM so it's a bit weird. Just helps them compete with supercheep I guess? No problem using them.

So who manufactures the 'genuine' ones? GM don't make oil filters..?

occtec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 MY15
AC Delco have been making parts for commodores since the VB. My understanding is that they are considered genuine parts. I know I've bought many AC components over the years with GMH part numbers, some very recently. I guess it's hard to know exactly how it all works :/

Who knows, but the guy said to me if your doing any country driving i would recommend the GM otherwise if its just local nothing wrong with AcDelco he also stated its a cheaper replacement, regardless i went with the cheaper alternative. lol..