Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2015 VF SV6 LACK OF POWER (FLAT SPOT)

occtec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 MY15
This may possibly sound like a stupid question but after having the throttle body cleaned and battery disconnected all night, will i be able to just reconnect the battery in the morning startup my car and go drive as per normal? Only asking as i have an important task to accomplish in the early morning, so hoping ill have no dramas doing so, any ideas? Is there any procedure I have to follow?
Cheers

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Haha, yessss.. Finally managed to clean the throttle body & boy it was dirty, initially i was to gentle with the butterfly plate but i tried just the smallest amount of pressure and she moved. Should make some difference im hoping & now just need to put that injector cleaner in it tomorrow with some 98 octane fuel (full tank) and hope for some better results. Just a bit sceptical regarding the battery disconnection, has anyone tried this will this have a positive or negative impact on my ECM and anything else? Wouldnt the car need to be re-tuned or something after clearing everything? Thanks in advance :)

Be aware that using your fingers to push open the throttle plate (butterfly) while cleaning a drive by wire throttle body can cause a problem with the throttle position sensor.

If you are cleaning it while on the car you should have someone turn the ignition on and press the accelerator while you spray the cleaner into it.

That hard initial resistance you felt is the gear set connected to the throttle body motor that operates the butterfly.

When the resistance stopped that may be a sign you broke a gear.

So when you restart the car it may do something a little unusual.

I’ve seen big exhaust cars almost blow out neighbouring windows and filled the place with black smoke after throttle body cleans that went wrong.

Though in most cases you'll be luckier and just end up with minor fluctuating RPM’s or very high or low idle speeds or a combination of both.

If this happens and it’s the sensor then the computer will need to be reset which is better than the problem you’ll have if you’ve broken a gear.

Have you already started the car to see if it running OK?

occtec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 MY15
Be aware that using your fingers to push open the throttle plate (butterfly) while cleaning a drive by wire throttle body can cause a problem with the throttle position sensor.

If you are cleaning it while on the car you should have someone turn the ignition on and press the accelerator while you spray the cleaner into it.

That hard initial resistance you felt is the gear set connected to the throttle body motor that operates the butterfly.

When the resistance stopped that may be a sign you broke a gear.

So when you restart the car it may do something a little unusual.

I’ve seen big exhaust cars almost blow out neighbouring windows and filled the place with black smoke after throttle body cleans that went wrong.

Though in most cases you'll be luckier and just end up with minor fluctuating RPM’s or very high or low idle speeds or a combination of both.

If this happens and it’s the sensor then the computer will need to be reset which is better than the problem you’ll have if you’ve broken a gear.

Have you already started the car to see if it running OK?

Thanks for the advice, I wish I had it before i started, anyways haven't started it yet I'll be connecting the battery and doing it within next 30 min as I just got up to find your message. As for the butterfly there was barely any resistance to begin with and I didn't hear anything break. How do you reset the computer as after cleaning the throttle body I never started it just unplugged the battery overnight and I was going to plug it in this morning and start it up. Cheers

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Just reconnect battery and start it up. Let it idle for a minute and drive away is all I've ever done.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Thanks for the advice, I wish I had it before i started, anyways haven't started it yet I'll be connecting the battery and doing it within next 30 min as I just got up to find your message. As for the butterfly there was barely any resistance to begin with and I didn't hear anything break. How do you reset the computer as after cleaning the throttle body I never started it just unplugged the battery overnight and I was going to plug it in this morning and start it up. Cheers

Hopefully you’ll have no problem and she’ll go like a beauty.

I’ve never really understood why some people get away with cleaning them without problems and someone else uses the exact same method and ends up with poor idling or a broken gear set, maybe someone smarter than me could jump in with advice on that.

If it’s just an idling problem due to the throttle sensor not being able to find it’s true location either a tuner or a Holden dealership can reset the computer to put things right.

Fingers crossed you fall into the lucky group of people.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I'll assume no news is good news and he's enjoying the improved throttle response.

occtec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 MY15
Hey guys, I'm currently out at the moment with work as soon as I get back I'll share my experience. Cheers