Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2016-2017

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
NEWS ON 2016-2017 'COMMODORE'

Hot off the press......

Next Holden Commodore likely to have more foreign parts | News.com.au

Article suggests a car with much lower local content, made in several other countries.

I am thinking it's the end of the road for large RWD Commodore (even if it's called that). Sounds like it'll be a small SUV or a Malibu sized sort of thing.....

Last edited:

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
If its FWD, an SUV, or worse still, a combination of the above, they better not call it a Commodore. Because it won't be.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
It's funny how the younger members of the forum are so attached to the "Commodore" nameplate and dread the thought that it might either be attached to some "unsuitable" design, such as an SUV, or dropped altogether. Prior to 1978, the name didn't exist in Australia and it was imported from Opel. Before the Commodore came along, we had the Monaro or GTS to satisfy ourselves with, and both those names, which were just as iconic as "Commodore" is today, were dropped. So what?

Older members of the forum probably don't give a rat's ass if the name dies - I'd just like to think that whatever it's called, it's designed and built here. Unfortunately, the writing is on the wall and, whatever configuration it comes in, it is likely to be a Daewoo product with some Aussie design and engineering input, maybe some local components like panels and trim and maybe even the engine if it keeps the V6.

Last edited:

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
It's funny how the younger members of the forum are so attached to the "Commodore" nameplate and dread the thought that it might either be attached to some "unsuitable" design, such as an SUV, or dropped altogether. Prior to 1978, the name didn't exist in Australia and it was imported from Opel. Before the Commodore came along, we had the Monaro or GTS to satisfy ourselves with, and both those names, which were just as iconic as "Commodore" is today, were dropped. So what?

Older members of the forum probably don't give a rat's ass if the name dies - I'd just like to think that whatever it's called, it's designed and built here. Unfortunately, the writing is on the wall and, whatever configuration it comes in, it is likely to be a Daewoo product with some Aussie design and engineering input, maybe some local components like panels and trim and maybe even the engine if it keeps the V6.

I could just pichure someone in October 1978 saying 'what? no more Kingswoods? What will we drive now?'

But a lot of what gives the Commodore its cult-like following is its motor racing heritage, its marketing, its image as an Aussie muscle car. Whilst the Commodore replacement would probably a perfectly fine car to buy and use on a daily basis, if it is FWD or V6 only I would say much of the enthusiasm would wane, particularly for the next generation of beginner motorists.

There is also the possibility of Abbott Govt. stopping payments to car industry (as I have heard in news reports) at which point the Holden brand would cease to exist . It would be more logical to simply import suitable GM products here as chevs, vauxhalls or opels and forgo the expense with rebadging........

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Hope the new government stops propping up a dying industry.

cor3yz

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Wagon Exec / VK 202 EFI
I agree. Although I must point out (in my humble opinion) that the commodore and it's racing identity was largely developed in the first generation commodores VB to VH. The VK is famous as the last of a generation, and began to wane from there.
When I see the Marlboro commodore I appreciate its racing heritage, I don't get the same feeling of appreciation when I see the KMart VT for example.
I just hope that they keep a large portion of australian design and engineering, and as much local production as they can to keep an Whichever model they choose to run with a part of culture as the kings wood and commodore are.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hope the new government stops propping up a dying industry.

This is the attitude I don't understand. There seems to be this perception that, because the companies concerned are multinationals, rather than truly Australian, they don't deserve local support from governments.

Other countries provide higher levels of support or protection for their motor industries, because of the strategic importance of the industry to their economies and the potential importance for industrial self-reliance the industry imposes. That was one of the principal reasons behind the Chifley Government providing the money to encourage local production after World War II and the reasons are just as valid today. Perhaps the biggest difference these days is that the population is far less parochial than it was during the '40's and national pride doesn't seem to count for very much, except on sporting fields.

It's fair to say that the main reason Ford and Holden are in strife is because their bread and butter local models no longer represent the sort of cars that Australians want. The failure to read the market during the past decade means that they are too far behind the eight ball now to be able to develop and manufacture the right cars for today. The Territory is the only local car that even approaches the "ideal" family car today and it is nearing the end of its model life, with no local replacement planned. Why did this happen? Ford had the right car in 2004 but it was based on the Falcon, which was doomed. Manufacturing costs in this country are too high and the economies of scale are non-existent. Ford's refusal to develop local cars with exports in mind really arose because Dearborn didn't want the Falcon to compete with other Ford models world-wide.

Holden, however, made huge efforts to develop export markets and even today, when the writing is on the wall, they are pushing a new export market for the VF in the USA as a Chev. It will be very interesting to see what sort of numbers they can sell that car in over there, because the previous effort with the VE was limited by the American auto unions, who didn't want imported GM products to cut into local production. Not sure how they see this latest effort, but if they act in the same manner this time, production numbers for VF exports will again be artificially restricted, which could lead to cessation of VF production earlier than planned.

I believe that, while ever local manufacturers are actively trying to improve the breed, such as the VF, and develop new and existing export markets, they deserve some form of government assistance, because of the impact on local industry and employment that their closure would entail.

IRON8

Let It Rip
Reaction score
Members Ride
'VTank SS , VG/VR Ute
I agree. Although I must point out (in my humble opinion) that the commodore and it's racing identity was largely developed in the first generation commodores VB to VH. The VK is famous as the last of a generation, and began to wane from there.
When I see the Marlboro commodore I appreciate its racing heritage, I don't get the same feeling of appreciation when I see the KMart VT for example.
I just hope that they keep a large portion of australian design and engineering, and as much local production as they can to keep an Whichever model they choose to run with a part of culture as the kings wood and commodore are.

AY AY AY!!! thats our very own Greg Murphy mate, "Captain Cock" but never the less our flying Kiwi !!! LOL ;)

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Introduce 150% import tax on foreign motor vehicles, Voila! the return of Ford vs Holden V8 Touring car glory!
(because with a lack of country loyalty people solely shop on price alone, therefore by inflating jap crap and euro's they are forced to shop locally . . . on price )

just my 2cents. it won't happen and may not even work if it did, but meh.
The slippery downhill slide began when the humble AussieV8 was discontinued and an alternative V8 sourced off shore.