Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2016-2017

wod300

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Berlina Supercharged 3.8
If Holden cease local production how will your life change?

No offence, but that's a pretty selfish point of view. It may not change my life, but it will change the life of the bloke next door, and his family.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
No offence, but that's a pretty selfish point of view. It may not change my life, but it will change the life of the bloke next door, and his family.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
Please, they don't care about job security. They were asked to take a pay cut, don't see that happening.
Put the money into retraining and move them to another industry.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Please, they don't care about job security. They were asked to take a pay cut, don't see that happening.

Like Ford?! Holden has a long way to go yet in term of proving VF sales domestically and to the US. Still a fighting chance, and tis better than 50/50 with the Lion rampart.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Like Ford?! Holden has a long way to go yet in term of proving VF sales domestically and to the US. Still a fighting chance, and tis better than 50/50 with the Lion rampart.
Ford are just as bad, yes.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
If Holden and subsequently Toyota close up shop, that's 40,000 jobs gone. That's $400 million worth of dole payments (assuming the workers cannot find another job, which in a gutted manufacturing sector would be highly likely), added with the other job losses that would occur from the ripple effect. Real estate values would plummet. Parts of Melbourne and Adelaide would become like Detroit. Shutting up local car industry would be economically catastrophic.

There are other sectors that get a leg-up. In times of drought, farmers often get assistance. Mining companies get rebates on fuel taxes (I think...). Zoos are basically economically not viable and are often funded as education facilities.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

IIRC the line workers have voted for the pay cut. Not sure what the engineering voted in Fishermans bend. Management have had a wage freeze since 2010.

I'd hate to think the costs of retraining and changing 200,000 (ish) people into another industry.

If Holden and subsequently Toyota close up shop, that's 40,000 jobs gone. That's $400 million worth of dole payments (assuming the workers cannot find another job, which in a gutted manufacturing sector would be highly likely), added with the other job losses that would occur from the ripple effect. Real estate values would plummet. Parts of Melbourne and Adelaide would become like Detroit. Shutting up local car industry would be economically catastrophic.

There are other sectors that get a leg-up. In times of drought, farmers often get assistance. Mining companies get rebates on fuel taxes (I think...). Zoos are basically economically not viable and are often funded as education facilities.

It's actually significantly more than the direct Toyota and Holden workers. For each direct there are 6.5 indirects associated to them. It gets worse and worse.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If Holden cease local production how will your life change?

I know this question wasn't directed towards me but I have very definite feelings about what it means to have no Holdens or Fords designed and built here. I'm sick to death of watching one industry after another die in this country because it's cheaper or easier to build or make things overseas. I'm fed up with this country becoming just one bloody great hole in the ground where we dig it up, ton by ton, and flog it off to China or Japan, so they can make things we can buy. I hate seeing unemployment numbers on the increase.

And yes, I might be old fashioned, but I take pride in the fact that we can still design and build things here that are the equal of much of what we import. The VF is proof of how good local cars can be in the face of considerable difficulties.

You mightn't care one bit, but I sure as hell do.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I know this question wasn't directed towards me but I have very definite feelings about what it means to have no Holdens or Fords designed and built here. I'm sick to death of watching one industry after another die in this country because it's cheaper or easier to build or make things overseas. I'm fed up with this country becoming just one bloody great hole in the ground where we dig it up, ton by ton, and flog it off to China or Japan, so they can make things we can buy. I hate seeing unemployment numbers on the increase.

And yes, I might be old fashioned, but I take pride in the fact that we can still design and build things here that are the equal of much of what we import. The VF is proof of how good local cars can be in the face of considerable difficulties.

You mightn't care one bit, but I sure as hell do.
Yet you own a Korean made car.............

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS

My feelings on welfare are a whole other argument.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Yet you own a Korean made car.............

Yeah, I do and I'm not happy with that fact. To paraphrase your ealier comment, you bought a car that suited your needs. So did I. I tried a longer response to your memo last night which addressed that very issue but the internet connection failed and I cbf going through it all again. Suffice it to say that if my last car hadn't been so impractical for my current needs, it would still be in my driveway. It made a mockery of all the claims that Commodores are crap.

What I drive now has no bearing on my feelings about the direction this country is taking in relation to its industrial base and I get a bit antsy when people like you just seem to say "Who gives a ****?", usually because it has no bearing on them directly.