Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2016 GEN-F Clubsport random "Service Vehicle Soon"

Cohen

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 Clubsport
G'Day All,

Every now and again at random times, my Series 2 GEN-F will display the Service Vehicle Soon message on the dash. I clear it using the enter button on the stalk and sometimes it appears again straight away or even sometimes disappears itself. It happens at completely random times and as you can imagine becomes a little annoying when the car begins beeping every so often.
I have not been able to identify or narrow down what causes the message to appear. eg certain driving conditions, speeds, time in vehicle etc.

The vehicle gets serviced and I change the oil and filter every 7500km and complete the correct clearing procedure.
  • Turn Ignition On.
  • Press Accelerator Pedal 5 times all the way to the end.
  • Turn Ignition Off.
It seems like a software bug or glitch? Does anyone know of a fix for this or possible fault causing this.

I have plugged a scan tool into the vehicle and the vehicle has no warning codes.

Appreciate the help and feedback.

Thanks.

IMG_0420.jpeg

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the "service vehicle soon" message has nothing to do with the oil or regular servicing, you basically have a sensor that is intermittently failing which is popping that message.
it is a non critical issue so it pops that message and you need to get a proper scan tool(GDS2) connected to display the logged fault and have the sensor replaced.

Cohen

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 Clubsport
Awesome thanks stooge appreciate the reply.
I’ll start the hunt for a mechanic with a GDS2 tool.
Out of interest is that the same as a Tech 2 or is that a completely different scan tool again?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Out of interest is that the same as a Tech 2 or is that a completely different scan tool again?

its the same concept of the tech2 but the tech2 does not really work with newer vehicles, they switched to using a mdi with a laptop/tablet and using cloud to supply the updates for many modules, cars got smarter so the diagnostic tools had to evolve too.

you can get cheaper aftermarket tools that will do the job like the vcx nano but it takes some screwing around to get it setup properly so it is probably better to spend more on a proper mdi for a better end result.
most decent mechanics will have the correct scan tool needed to read the logs.

the "service vehicle soon" message is annoying because it is vague and does not log an error code like most people expect and you cant read it with a cheap elm327 device.
for instance i had a ultrasonic(reverse) sensor die in my colorado and it popped that message but no other information so i loaded up gds2 i could see the rear right inner sensor had failed.
i asked the dealer how much to fix and they said around 400 bucks, i got onto aliexpress and found the same part for $30 and replaced it myself.

i swear they designed that crap to stooge people into paying big bucks to fix minor problems by masking it behind a generic message and expensive software to diagnose it.

Last edited:

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
i swear they designed that crap to stooge people into paying big bucks to fix minor problems by masking it behind a generic message and expensive software to diagnose it.
Hahaha
The dilemma we now face is, what does one call it if @stooge actually helps as is usually the case?

Cohen

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 Clubsport
Got a scan done on the vehicle today, quite a few codes,

Engine control module
P0102 Mass airflow (MAF) sensor circuit low frequency
P057C Brake pedal position sensor circuit low voltage

Body control module
B2545-04 Backup lamps circuit - Open
B2570-04 Trunk lamp control circuit - Open
B3006-01 Hood ajar circuit - Short to battery
B3006-04 Hood ajar circuit - Open
B3109-00 Keyless entry transmitter 1 battery - Malfunction
B3110-00 Keyless entry transmitter 2 battery - Malfunction
B3948-04 Left front turn signal circuit - Open
B3949-04 Right front turn signal circuit - Open
B3950-04 Left rear turn signal circuit - Open
B3951-04 Right rear turn signal circuit - Open

Now, most if not all of the lights would be from me changing bulbs and testing. I will change the keyless remote batteries.

As for the ECM codes, I have no idea. I did forget to plug the MAF back in once and then started the car after cleaning the air filter (VCM OTR) which could be why.
Brake pedal position sensor no idea.

Got all codes cleared so my theory was if the 'Service Vehicle Soon' pops up again I can get it re-scanned to narrow down the potential cause.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Got all codes cleared so my theory was if the 'Service Vehicle Soon' pops up again I can get it re-scanned to narrow down the potential cause.

if it does pop up again i would suspect it will be one of these...

they are non critical but will throw that message.

Cohen

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 Clubsport
if it does pop up again i would suspect it will be one of these...

they are non critical but will throw that message.

So the for the first two would you consider replacing the sensors as the first step to the process in elimination for the fault?
Reading possible causes for the codes there is a couple of suggested issues for each.

I’m leaning towards replacing the MAF sensor now as I do feel like my fuel consumption is up (although that could be the rise in prices at the pump haha)
Car doesn’t seem to run rough however.

Really appreciate the advice and your time!

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
So the for the first two would you consider replacing the sensors as the first step to the process in elimination for the fault?

i would wait for the message to pop back up and then do another scan before replacing stuff, it might not come back up.