Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2016 VF SS Redline - Blown Auto Trans

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
wow, they are replacing it out of warranty? Why?

What are we not seeing?

Because "warranties" in australia are just cool stories to sell products.
ACL covers consumers regardless of warranty periods.

This is what you are not seeing...

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Within the last week i got quick response from NRMA about some shonky work on my car that i had waited a month for a response after mentioning the ACCC (repair okayed in days ) and had a $45 excess data usage on a cheap $8.80 1gb per month sim from a telco dismissed after mention of the telecommunication ombudsman , you really have to push sometimes

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Isn't that the idea of a warranty? You cover it till it runs out?

Not sure how ACL covers this. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that you have been covered but I don't understand why they would.
For any product sold within Australia by any business, ACL requires the seller provide the buyer a statutory warranty as defined within the legislation. This obligation is on the seller since they must operate according to Australian law.

The best way to look at a manufacturers warranty is that it is more a guarantee to the seller that the product will be fit for use and that if some fault occurs within a given timeframe, they will come to the rescue (otherwise why would anyone want to sell that manufacturers product).

The notable difference between the two warranties is that the manufacturers warranty has an end date specified. Further, in the case of a motor vehicle manufacturers warranty, the conditions allow it to be transferable to another owner should the original owner onsells the product.

A statutory warranty doesn't have a set duration specified within the legistaltion other than what is reasonable given the product in question and the price payed. It also isn't transferable.

The interesting thing is if one buys a Mitsubishi for $30k it has a 10 year manufacturers warranty and one would logically think the statutory warranty should be of a similar if not longer duration. Thus if one buys a premium vehicle, like a BMW for $100K, the ACL implication of thee other makers who offer longer manufacturers warranties must have a bearing on what is reasonable duration for the statutory warranty given the price paid for this premium vehicle. A reasonable consumer should conclude that a reasonable statutory warranty duration in this case would be much much longer than the BMW 3 year manufacturers warranty offered.

In essesnce Mitsubishi's and other manufacturers actions on increasing the manufacturers warranty duration must act as a rising tide to lift what is a reasonable duration from a statutory warranty perspective, atleast for any thinking person.

If you want to understand the how and why of ACL, your best option is a inquisitive mind and some critical thinking while skimming the actual legislation itself... Otherwise you may pay businesses for some silly extended warranty which is in my view simply throwing money away...

Here is a snippet how the ACL defines things.

Competition and Consumer Act 2010
Volume 3 - Schedule 2—The Australian Consumer Law
Chapter 3—Specific protections
Part 3-2—Consumer transactions
Subdivision A—Guarantees relating to the supply of goods
54 Guarantee as to acceptable quality
(1) If:
(a) a person supplies, in trade or commerce, goods to a consumer; and
(b) the supply does not occur by way of sale by auction;
there is a guarantee that the goods are of acceptable quality.
(2) Goods are of acceptable quality if they are as:
(a) fit for all the purposes for which goods of that kind are commonly supplied; and
(b) acceptable in appearance and finish; and
(c) free from defects; and
(d) safe; and
(e) durable;
as a reasonable consumer fully acquainted with the state and condition of the goods (including any hidden defects of the goods), would regard as acceptable having regard to the matters in subsection (3).
(3) The matters for the purposes of subsection (2) are:
(a) the nature of the goods; and
(b) the price of the goods (if relevant); and
(c) any statements made about the goods on any packaging or label on the goods; and
(d) any representation made about the goods by the supplier or manufacturer of the goods; and
(e) any other relevant circumstances relating to the supply of the goods.
(4) If:
(a) goods supplied to a consumer are not of acceptable quality; and
(b) the only reason or reasons why they are not of acceptable quality were specifically drawn to the consumer’s attention before the consumer agreed to the supply;
the goods are taken to be of acceptable quality.
(5) If:
(a) goods are displayed for sale or hire; and
(b) the goods would not be of acceptable quality if they were supplied to a consumer;
the reason or reasons why they are not of acceptable quality are taken, for the purposes of subsection (4), to have been specifically drawn to a consumer’s attention if those reasons were disclosed on a written notice that was displayed with the goods and that was transparent.

(6) Goods do not fail to be of acceptable quality if:
(a) the consumer to whom they are supplied causes them to become of unacceptable quality, or fails to take reasonable steps to prevent them from becoming of unacceptable quality; and
(b) they are damaged by abnormal use.

(7) Goods do not fail to be of acceptable quality if:
(a) the consumer acquiring the goods examines them before the consumer agrees to the supply of the goods; and
(b) the examination ought reasonably to have revealed that the goods were not of acceptable quality.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah, I think they look at it as a time investment in a lot of cases. I've been to the ombudsman for multiple situations as they end up doing the right thing in the end when you play hardball.
Yes many companies rely on peoples lack of stamina :rolleyes:

The interesting thing with the Telecomunication Ombudsman is that they charge the Telco for their involvement. The Telco's costs increases if the case gets escalated within the ombusman office if the Telco fails to respond to the matter within a given timeframe. That's why Telcos are very reactive when you mention you'll take the matter to the ombudsman. Telcos hate the current status and have been trying to change it so that the Ombudsman becomes just another toothless regulator. I hope such doesn't happen... That's my understanding anyway :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi,
My daily driver, a 2016 VF SS Redline has just blown the Auto gearbox, it's done 73,000kms. Being a daily driver I drive it fairly conservatively - not a granny driver by any means - but it doesn't get thrashed. Blew the box taking off slowly from a roundabout, almost at walking pace.
Holden are saying that it's very rare that they have seen this and that SS Redline auto's are very solid. It's out of warranty but their replacing it at no cost.

Has anyone else experienced any drama's with their Auto's in the LS3 Redlines?
I hope this is simply an anomoly and not indicative of a bigger problem...

If it is indicative of a bigger problem, it makes a mockery of Holdens Level 3 Track Certification of my Motorsport and other Limited Edition autos :rolleyes:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
They will also send the transmission back to R&D for evaluation. So GM will cover the costs to the dealer I assume. Usually waranty is flat rate but I bet this being abnormal GM want the tranny so they're paying the dealer full rate.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
I hate these stories, just more stuff i worry about when im 20 K into a road trip and on the other side of Australia. Ha Ha.

Reactions: Lex

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
The auto is not known for this, unlike the garbage one in the Cruze's.

Speaking of there was an "unofficial replacement program" on those ones.

GM will capitulate if pushed a bit.