Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2016 vz sv6 ecu help needed

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
No, I think other things need to be explored first or you could be shelling out money for no good reason.
If the ECU is faulty, you need to ask for how they get that diagnosis. Lots of workshops and dealerships guess faults or "Parts Swap" until the fault is fixed, rather than doing correct fault diagnosis.

What happens if you spend $1600 on a new ECM and it doesn't fix the problem?

jess2020

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 sv6 vz
Exactly my worries, I have diagnostic details just doesn't seem right paying $1600 like you said and there's no guarantee it's fixed Soni need to know what to do

jess2020

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 sv6 vz
It's doing my head in seriously it's a really nice car no rips in leather interior so really want to fix

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Going back to your first post, the codes are not much diagnostic information on their own.
What is completely missing from this is the tests that should be done on those circuits to varify what is happening.

Codes do not tell us some thing is broken. They tell us those areas involved need to be explored, more data gathered to correctly diagnose the fault.

My suggestion to you is to check the earths around the engine bay. If one or two are a bit corroded, your cars system might not be operating as it should and start throwing codes like it's a sport. I have out lined how to do that.

That either fixes it, or we move to the next part. Take the car to an auto electrician with training in using oscilloscopes to probe the functions of the modules and sensors involved.

Then a diagnosis is made and money can be spent on the exact cause of the faults. It may well be the ECM needs replacing, but guessing is not how we get to that. When mechanics go from reading fault codes to swapping parts, that's guessing, and it's expensive.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
This guy explains things so well.
Go to 2:50 (you might not watch the rest but he talks through the process with care to explain everything)

You have some paper with codes, a suggested fix (a huge one!) and no supporting data for the diagnosis.
It's like being unwell, the doctor saying you have a serious illness, we need to do expensive treatment. However the Doctor has guessed based on you saying you feel unwell.

There needs to be more information

jess2020

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 sv6 vz
So after talking up plug that was split from air filter , I have no idea what's called lol there's no drive train engine light now ?

Attachments

• IMG_20201122_163345.jpg
    IMG_20201122_163345.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
That is from the passenger side valve cover. It's part of the emissions control. It can be bought from eBay or you can pull the other end off, take it to super cheap and find a vacuum hose that fits over just the hard plastic and will be flexible enough to stretch over the port on the intake pipe.

A vacuum leak can set all manner of fault codes.

The part you need:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine...063830&hash=item2848e01ed1:g:lUAAAOSwR-9d20bn