Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2017 Commodore Made in China

str8vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
The 2017 Holden Commodore will be made in China

Joshua Dowling National Motoring Editor
News Limited Network
December 14, 2013 9:30PM

The 2017 Holden Commodore could come from China where it will also be sold as a Buick. Artist impression by Martin Banks.

The 2017 Holden Commodore could come from China where it will also be sold as a Buick. Artist impression by Martin Banks. Source: Supplied

THE Holden Commodore of the future will be as Australian as the shirts on our backs: it will likely be made in China.

To gain approval to develop a new Commodore, General Motors did a top-secret deal with Holden to pair the next generation sedan with a Buick that was originally exclusive to the Chinese market.

Holden won the contract to design the car, which was then due to be built in Australia and China.

But now that Holden has decided to shut its Elizabeth car assembly line in 2017, China is poised to become the sole producer of the vehicle.

Documents obtained by News Corp Australia confirm every Holden fan's worst nightmare: the next generation Commodore will be a front-wheel-drive car powered by a four-cylinder engine.

Every top-selling Holden since the birth of the company in 1948 has been a six-cylinder, rear-wheel-drive sedan.

The last time Holden sold a four-cylinder Commodore in the early 1980s, sales tanked.

The four-cylinder Ford Falcon released last year has also failed to boost sales, accounting for less than 10 per cent of deliveries.

Holden insiders are now fighting to make a V6 available as an option on the future Commodore.

When asked why Holden would continue with the Commodore badge given that the 2017 version bears no resemblance to the models before it, a Holden insider said: "It's easier to explain to buyers that something has changed about a car they know, than to say 'Here's the new Holden XYZ'."

The 2017 Commodore will lose its practical box-shaped body and instead take on sleek styling cues from Europe.

Sales of European sedans have been revived overseas since they were restyled to look like four-door coupes.

A Holden insider says the new Commodore will be almost 5 metres long and almost as wide as the current car, but it will look smaller because of the low roofline.

"It's about making sedans look cool again," said one Holden insider. "Audi's done it, Mercedes has done, now we're going to do it. It's the only way to bring customers back to sedans."

Sales of traditional sedans have been in free-fall for 10 years as Australians embrace SUVs in record numbers.

The shift away from traditional cars is so strong that there will be no wagon version of the new Commodore for the first time ever.

No Cookies | The Advertiser

sffcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Calais V Sportwagon
So 4 cylinders and FWD. No ute or wagon. Sounds like a Camry. I think the Commodore name should end with the VF so it doesn't get spoiled by this generic FWD rubbish.

Will have to save up and buy a VF. Probably last Holden I'll ever buy.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
They will have a better response if they change the name to XYZ instead on commodore. Stupid decision.

Bomber R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII R8 Clubsport
Quality journalism from Josh Dowling again.

b_lake1

Salt Dog
Reaction score
Members Ride
5.7L VY Calais
vomit on that artists impression.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Are they employing 5 year olds to do their renders now? That grill is terrible.

059031-eddc7b46-63cb-11e3-be16-1445237cc09f.jpg

bosmonaut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60th Anniversay Edition
Isn't the mail appeal of the commodore that its neither front wheel drive nor 4 cylinder and is not build in china.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I don't blame the messenger on this one however I do wonder if GM could be **that** stupid.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
General motors will loose a lot of sales if they try to replace the commodore with a front wheel drive box of snot. I can see more people buying 4wd vehicles if they cant buy a rear wheel drive.

pbax

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
General motors will loose a lot of sales if they try to replace the commodore with a front wheel drive box of snot. I can see more people buying 4wd vehicles if they cant buy a rear wheel drive.

I think your spot on there.
Better to get a Subaru than this new proposed commodore....