Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2017 Commodore Made in China

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Reap

I wasn't suggesting that the Daewoo connection would cease - rather than any future models would be better designed and engineered and far more competitive than the stuff we've had dished up to us so far.

With regard to names for models, some names sell well in certain markets, yet the same car sells poorly in other markets under the same name and the manufacturer changes the names to suit the market. "Pajero" is a good example - it's known (or has been) as the Shogun in the UK, where it was pretty successful. Personally, I hate the name Cruze - stupid spelling and dumb name to start with. It is also associated with a car that initially wasn't up to scratch. It could do with a change for our market IMO.

And as for the Malibu, I could never understand which market segment it was targeting. If it was the Camry market, I would have thought the Cruze addressed that segment. The Epica was in a similar position - it had no market identity, it didn't seem to fit anywhere and it was totally uncompetitive with other equally dull and unimaginative cars. I could imagine that the Epica and Malibu were intended to appeal to typical Camry buyers - people who wanted whitegoods on wheels - didn't care two hoots about which wheels drove it or how it worked, as long as it worked. Problem was, the Camry already satisfied that market and there are only so many wood-ducks buying that sort of car. I give the Malibu no more than two years and it's gone.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Reap

I wasn't suggesting that the Daewoo connection would cease - rather than any future models would be better designed and engineered and far more competitive than the stuff we've had dished up to us so far.

Well I should hope so. To be fair they are improving compared to that supplied in years past. I can't see myself rushing in to buy any of them soon though.

With regard to names for models, some names sell well in certain markets, yet the same car sells poorly in other markets under the same name and the manufacturer changes the names to suit the market. "Pajero" is a good example - it's known (or has been) as the Shogun in the UK, where it was pretty successful. Personally, I hate the name Cruze - stupid spelling and dumb name to start with. It is also associated with a car that initially wasn't up to scratch. It could do with a change for our market IMO.

Totally agreed however GM have made it very clear they want to move away from different badges in different markets. I don't mind the Cruze as a name myself but not that fussed either way.

And as for the Malibu, I could never understand which market segment it was targeting. If it was the Camry market, I would have thought the Cruze addressed that segment. The Epica was in a similar position - it had no market identity, it didn't seem to fit anywhere and it was totally uncompetitive with other equally dull and unimaginative cars. I could imagine that the Epica and Malibu were intended to appeal to typical Camry buyers - people who wanted whitegoods on wheels - didn't care two hoots about which wheels drove it or how it worked, as long as it worked. Problem was, the Camry already satisfied that market and there are only so many wood-ducks buying that sort of car. I give the Malibu no more than two years and it's gone.

The market for the Malibu/Epica is supposed to be retiree's that want a larger car than the Cruze but perceive the Commodore to be too big both in engine capacity and physical size. It's also targeted towards the fleet buyers and governments with a 4cyl policy needing larger cars. None seem particularly interested in it though. The thing is that Camry has been in the Australian market since the mid/late 80's and still only sells at a pittance volume. I'm not sure what Holden was expecting there. The funny thing is that in NA Camry is the biggest selling car (as opposed to trucks). The Malibu sells well and is tarted at fleet buyer. There is ample evidence to show even blind freddy that Australia is a very different market to NA.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
the camry in America isn't selling as good anymore from what I have read,the Nissan Altima which is essentially the same thing has taken over as no1-lol,
unfortunately still front wheel drive,4 cylinder gutless like the camry and the v6 is ok same as aurion here,
I think I will get a Camaro when they come if they come
I also heard the mustang will be here soon and has 2 power plants,5.0 litre v8 which is average from all reports and then a 4 cyl turbo wtf
time to start rebuilding the old commy's lol

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
the camry in America isn't selling as good anymore from what I have read,the Nissan Altima which is essentially the same thing has taken over as no1-lol,
unfortunately still front wheel drive,4 cylinder gutless like the camry and the v6 is ok same as aurion here,

Camry/Altima/whatever the point still stands. That larger mid size fwd 4cyl boring as batshit sedan is king over there. They are so far down the list here it doesn't matter.

I think I will get a Camaro when they come if they come
I also heard the mustang will be here soon and has 2 power plants,5.0 litre v8 which is average from all reports and then a 4 cyl turbo wtf
time to start rebuilding the old commy's lol

Either way it makes for interesting times :p

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I'm told the Chinese made Commodore or whatever , is going to come with a free Mao Tse Tung cap and jacket , so that's nice , part of China's grand plan apparently . Plus a copy of the " Little book of calm "

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
If all the rumours, etc are true (besides Camaro) GM is dead to me. They will have a fond place in history but new ones will have no place in my garage. I say this as a proud owner of an HR Holden, a Monaro and a Clubsport - are you listening GM? I doubt it :(

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Camry/Altima/whatever the point still stands. That larger mid size fwd 4cyl boring as batshit sedan is king over there. They are so far down the list here it doesn't matter.

Exactly my opinon and funnily enough, Toyota seems to be trying to trade in on that image with their "hip to be square" Camry advertising. What sort of image does it convey except that their cars are utterly ordinary, unimaginative, boring bloody tin boxes (which is precisely what Camry's have been since 1992, when the wide body model appeared)?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'm told the Chinese made Commodore or whatever , is going to come with a free Mao Tse Tung cap and jacket , so that's nice , part of China's grand plan apparently . Plus a copy of the " Little book of calm "

Also, if you buy one before January 26 each year, you get a free Australia Day celebration kit, comprising bucket hat, miniature flag, inflatable thong-shaped surf floatee and I love Australia T-shirt, all Chinese made, of course

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Exactly my opinon and funnily enough, Toyota seems to be trying to trade in on that image with their "hip to be square" Camry advertising. What sort of image does it convey except that their cars are utterly ordinary, unimaginative, boring bloody tin boxes (which is precisely what Camry's have been since 1992, when the wide body model appeared)?

Exactly, Camry's (and indeed many Toyota's) are just plastic boxes on wheels so utterly drab inside it defies all reason.