Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2017 Commodore Made in China

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The quality and originality of the Chinese cars will have to improve under GM ownership, because of international copyright laws.

At present, China copies anything and ignores copyrights completely, but getting legal action against them is difficult, if not impossible, because the companies are Chinese and it's often difficult to identify exactly who made the knock-offs.

GM will own the company and infringing copyright regs is something they will want to avoid, because as the owner, they would be liable for any litigation taken against their Chinese designers. Furthermore, GM wants to sell their designs in a large number of export markets and originality and quality will be vital for those plans to succeed. As I said earlier, the first attempts at car making are laughable but they can, and will, improve dramatically with time.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
The quality and originality of the Chinese cars will have to improve under GM ownership, because of international copyright laws.

At present, China copies anything and ignores copyrights completely, but getting legal action against them is difficult, if not impossible, because the companies are Chinese and it's often difficult to identify exactly who made the knock-offs.

GM will own the company and infringing copyright regs is something they will want to avoid, because as the owner, they would be liable for any litigation taken against their Chinese designers. Furthermore, GM wants to sell their designs in a large number of export markets and originality and quality will be vital for those plans to succeed. As I said earlier, the first attempts at car making are laughable but they can, and will, improve dramatically with time.

GM isn't the problem - its the other gazillion other "companies" over there making said products for their own market. To combat that effectively it'll take a massive change of attitude from the Chinese government. How you achieve that (even if they want to) is a colossal job!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
China does what China wants to do. They won't change their attitude to suit anyone else but themselves. Almost a case of "Come at us bro".

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
You all obviously believe that GM is so desperate for a buck that they will allow any old crap to be released under their banner.

I don't agree. They will want the cars to stand up to market forces. Just being cheap won't work if the quality is garbage. Look at Geely or Chery for example. They are as cheap as chips out here, but you don't see them in their thousands, do you? Some people want "cheap", and don't care about quality or durability. Most buyers want more than that and other quality brands are not much dearer than the Chinese stuff. If GM wants to bury itself, it will permit the Chinese stuff to be of Chery standards, but I reckon they will have too much hanging on the success of this venture to allow it to be poorly designed and manufactured.

Char

Reaction score
I suspect an increase in the value of CV Holden monaros by 2017.
Future investment?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
You all obviously believe that GM is so desperate for a buck that they will allow any old crap to be released under their banner.

I don't agree. They will want the cars to stand up to market forces. Just being cheap won't work if the quality is garbage. Look at Geely or Chery for example. They are as cheap as chips out here, but you don't see them in their thousands, do you? Some people want "cheap", and don't care about quality or durability. Most buyers want more than that and other quality brands are not much dearer than the Chinese stuff. If GM wants to bury itself, it will permit the Chinese stuff to be of Chery standards, but I reckon they will have too much hanging on the success of this venture to allow it to be poorly designed and manufactured.

I had the misfortune recently to drive a Great Wall ute , albeit briefly , I think the term rhymes with "clucking bell " , it was truly horrid , not bad for what you pay , but still nasty . I do not believe for one minute that GM will let standards slip to that level .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marko_SJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 utility
Looks like the hardest decision about my next six cylinder purhcase will be whether it has a " GTS-T" or "GT-R" badge. Maybe heaps of people will buy BMW 135 M's or something and the market will be saturated with them?

LOL.

Flat out will not buy a foreign made Holden.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Looks like the hardest decision about my next six cylinder purhcase will be whether it has a " GTS-T" or "GT-R" badge. Maybe heaps of people will buy BMW 135 M's or something and the market will be saturated with them?

LOL.

Flat out will not buy a foreign made Holden.

Same as you mate, never been interested in GM's imported crap and nothing about that is set to change - unless they do a V8 RWD sedan - hmmm.

K-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Yea may have to jump **** to the Blue oval side if they bring the Mustang and its Half decent....

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Its understandable if they do go that way. Most people these days are only interested in economy and little buttons that do cool things.

Sent by hijacking Wraiths GT-N8020