Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2017 Commodore Made in China

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I think HSV will ride out the current Commodore platform (which outperforms Camaro, no reason to retire it as a base) using the currently available higher spec engine / driveline combos for many years to come.
Also I can see the company continuing as a tuning house for GM's other models too.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
The way its going, the world will get ####ed over if china decides to strike..

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Biggest question I have, what now for HSV?

I am near certain HSV as we know it will be gone. The company will continue doing freelance engineering work for anybody and possibly helping smaller manufacturers certify their cars ADR wise for sale in Australia. GM will retain the HSV trademark - what they do with it is yet to be determined.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
special cruzes and captivas?

im being serious on the cruze though.
use them as a base, put a bit of potential into them.
have them challenge some of the other cars in that market.

that would depend on if they keep building cruzes though.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
special cruzes and captivas?

im being serious on the cruze though.
use them as a base, put a bit of potential into them.
have them challenge some of the other cars in that market.

that would depend on if they keep building cruzes though.

Walkinshaw have a contract till 2016 (? there abouts) to use the HSV trademark and word is that Holden will not renew it. Add to that Mike Deveraux cannot stand Phil Harding nor "the Kid". It doesn't bode well for any contract to be renewed. HSV into the future very much hinges on the final decision regarding the Holden trademark. If it goes, so does HSV. If it stays then there are a few options such as marketing the Camaro under some HSV premium brand. Not sure how that could work as even in Aus, Camaro/Chevrolet are peas in a pod.

As for future Cruze production - it will continue, all from Thailand. Both the GM Thai and Korean plants will have excess capacity due to Chevrolet exit from Europe. Any "Hot" versions will arrive on the boat that way - no local work what so ever.

What is interesting is Walkinshaw's contract for HRT only lasts till the end of the 2015 season as well - beyond that it will disolve. GM are still tipped to support 2 factory "Holden" teams (whilst that name lasts in Aus anyway) with 888 remaining and possibly BJR taking the second spot :eek: (wouldn't have picked that one).

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
All the above info, particularly from Reaper, is very interesting. My own thoughts on future models, post 2017, are that the Holden name will remain for all vehicles marketed within Australia by GM, regardless of where they are built, except for "image" cars like the Camaro, which would obviously be sold under the Chevrolet name. As for the future of the Commodore nameplate, I reckon it dies with the end of local production and a new major model name will evolve for the volume seller. That model will not be a large sedan/wagon/ute. It will either be a Cruze replacement (which could definitely do with a better name - "Cruze" sucks), or a mid sized SUV. Shock, horror - I can just imagine all the SUV haters on this forum calling this heresy, but GM will only import cars that sell in bulk numbers for their respective markets and in Australia, that means SUV's or small sedans or hatchbacks.

The only good thing I can hope for under this arrangement is that we see the end of the dreary, ordinary or sub-standard crap that has been made by GMDAT and sold under the Holden nameplate for about the last ten years.

Incidentally, yesterday I visited my local Holden dealer to look over the current range. I spoke to a young salesman, who confirmed that the Malibu is a dog. Since its introduction, only three have left the showroom to buyers and interest is virtually zero. I have only seen one on the road over the past six months or so. This is in a largish regional town not far from Newcastle. Another Daewoo dog with fleas, likely to have the same success as the Epica. The decision makers at Holden have a lot to answer for when it comes to discussing that company's loss of sales over recent years.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
All the above info, particularly from Reaper, is very interesting. My own thoughts on future models, post 2017, are that the Holden name will remain for all vehicles marketed within Australia by GM, regardless of where they are built, except for "image" cars like the Camaro, which would obviously be sold under the Chevrolet name. As for the future of the Commodore nameplate, I reckon it dies with the end of local production and a new major model name will evolve for the volume seller. That model will not be a large sedan/wagon/ute. It will either be a Cruze replacement (which could definitely do with a better name - "Cruze" sucks), or a mid sized SUV. Shock, horror - I can just imagine all the SUV haters on this forum calling this heresy, but GM will only import cars that sell in bulk numbers for their respective markets and in Australia, that means SUV's or small sedans or hatchbacks.

I tend to agree re the Commodore name. Look at the Camry for an indication of FWD 4cyl Commodore volumes. And when I say look towards Camry - those volumes would be "best case" IMO. No doubt about it - get your Utes now fellas - the sedan based ute is dead at the end of VF. Near certain it's the same for the wagon although they are popular enough in europe that one may continue (unlikely). As long as the 'Cruze' nameplate exists overseas and we get a small car - it will be 'Cruze' here too. The new Cruze is due in 2015 and not a moment too soon for Holden dealers - it's getting smashed in the marketplace right now.

The only good thing I can hope for under this arrangement is that we see the end of the dreary, ordinary or sub-standard crap that has been made by GMDAT and sold under the Holden nameplate for about the last ten years.

Sorry - GMDAT will continue. The only question is weather it'll be marketed as Chevrolet or Holden. Opel will make a return, done properly (I hope) this time rather than the half arsed disaster we saw over the last few years.

Incidentally, yesterday I visited my local Holden dealer to look over the current range. I spoke to a young salesman, who confirmed that the Malibu is a dog. Since its introduction, only three have left the showroom to buyers and interest is virtually zero. I have only seen one on the road over the past six months or so. This is in a largish regional town not far from Newcastle. Another Daewoo dog with fleas, likely to have the same success as the Epica. The decision makers at Holden have a lot to answer for when it comes to discussing that company's loss of sales over recent years.

I don't understand the Malibu in Aus either. It was a solution to a problem that nobody seemed to have.