Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2017 VF2 SSVR ute rear speakers

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I'm not really into sound systems but discovered recently that my radio has a front/rear fader and no rear speakers. I've got 2016 VF2 SV6 ute and doesn't have them either, Yet I've seen them in a 2015 Gen F 1 Maloo. The rear speaker wiring is in front kick panel at the harness plug, so I ran a couple of wires down and fitted a cheap pair of Rockford Fosgate 6.75" two way speakers in the rear and it works perfectly and sounds great, massive difference! Probably sounds sh*t to people into sound system perfection but in my ears, an amazing improvement over the stock sound system and a pretty cheap and easy job!

20211013_193718.jpg

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Any other photos?

No, I just took the one photo of the speaker behind the drivers seat in the B pillar, but I can take some more when I do the SV6 on the weekend. I didn't expect any wiring from the radio in the dash harness, but it's only missing in the body harness side from the plug behind each kick panel. The only things I removed were front kick panels to access the plugs and the sill panel to run the wires. Mounting the speakers was only matter of measuring it up and cutting the plastic panel with a 5.5" hole saw and screwing the speakers in.

I Wish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, Nitrate Silver Wagon
I think i the later models they had sub woofers in those places.

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
I have a S1 SSV ute and it has an amp and sub-woofers in the back. I think they went cheap for the S2!
It's not as good as a high power system that I had before in another car but it's not too bad for a OEM system.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I have a S1 SSV ute and it has an amp and sub-woofers in the back. I think they went cheap for the S2!
It's not as good as a high power system that I had before in another car but it's not too bad for a OEM system.
I believe the '17 Magnum had the amp and sub-woofers in the back and seems they dropped it on the '17 Redlines. Adding rear speakers replicates the rear door speaker setup in a sedan basically.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I believe the '17 Magnum had the amp and sub-woofers in the back and seems they dropped it on the '17 Redlines. Adding rear speakers replicates the rear door speaker setup in a sedan basically.
I didn't realise Holden 'cheaped out' so much on the '17 Redline utes like that...
What about prior VF Redline utes, were they fitted with subs? My VE Redline ute has subs fitted.

The Magnum has subs, and the Mylink fader control is greyed out.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I didn't realise Holden 'cheaped out' so much on the '17 Redline utes like that...
What about prior VF Redline utes, were they fitted with subs? My VE Redline ute has subs fitted.

The Magnum has subs, and the Mylink fader control is greyed out.
My Redline built 6 weeks before the factory closed has the same radio setup as my '16 SV6, functional fader control on Mylink and no subs in the rear. The Magnum was the top of the range Holden ute then, not the Redline and the Magnum has electric seat adjustment too I believe. I got some HSV seats from a '17 R8 Maloo and still had manual seat adjustment like the SS/Redline etc. VE Redlines had the subs in the back, a mate I spoke with today has one and I asked him to have a look. In the last year of production, there was a lot of rumour about Holden "cheaping out" on equipment and seems they probably did.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
My Redline built 6 weeks before the factory closed has the same radio setup as my '16 SV6, functional fader control on Mylink and no subs in the rear. The Magnum was the top of the range Holden ute then, not the Redline and the Magnum has electric seat adjustment too I believe. I got some HSV seats from a '17 R8 Maloo and still had manual seat adjustment like the SS/Redline etc. VE Redlines had the subs in the back, a mate I spoke with today has one and I asked him to have a look. In the last year of production, there was a lot of rumour about Holden "cheaping out" on equipment and seems they probably did.

I think Holden looked at it as ease of manufacturing costs with less volume. Calais V and SS redline got basically same interior but they really stuffed up with the HVAC control as they was left as grey on the Calais V and Director while the SS was all piano black to match the trim above it. I hate Director HVAC control - looks cheap.

But doesn't make sense they added HUD for all MY17 SV6 - can't remember if base SS got it too.
Redline got TPMS in MY17 also. Calais V got electrochromic rear-view mirror too. So some cars got extras while others some some spec level.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I think Holden looked at it as ease of manufacturing costs with less volume. Calais V and SS redline got basically same interior but they really stuffed up with the HVAC control as they was left as grey on the Calais V and Director while the SS was all piano black to match the trim above it. I hate Director HVAC control - looks cheap.

But doesn't make sense they added HUD for all MY17 SV6 - can't remember if base SS got it too.
Redline got TPMS in MY17 also. Calais V got electrochromic rear-view mirror too. So some cars got extras while others some some spec level.

Holden did some silly things interior wise that made no sense to me. My initial gripe with VF was the "povo pack" cream Evoke roof lining across the range where SV6 upwards changed to black in VE. The grey HVAC control is Evoke too isn't it or similar, why on earth would they fit that in a Director and not the piano black even the SV6 gets?

I didn't like the '17 SSV Redline trim much either and when a mint SV Black R8 Maloo popped up at a wreckers in SA, I got all the HSV trim from it and fitted that to my SSVR ute.
20210913_145615.jpg