Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2018 Commonwealth Games.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
So, me and other half are off to the Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony on the Gold Coast …. got our accommodation in Southport and tickets organised.

Public transport is the only way to get there, and the website is full of generic information, telling us how it will be free transport, how extra services are going to be provided, and how wonderful and fuss free it will be. And tonight on the TV news, only 150 days to go.

But as to specifics where, how, and when this free transport will be provided, I cannot find any constructive information.

Anyone on here going to the Opening Ceremony, got their ducks organised, or have any tips on where to find up-to-date info, or know how to get around by reliable (cough) public transport ?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
As you are in Southport where we live, the tram is the ONLY way to travel, but see further on........
Tram is fantastic, 100% reliable, and is every 7 minutes, and will take you from Pacific Fair shopping centre to Broadbeach with plenty of great restaurants, to Surfers Paradise, to Southport, to the new University hospital, right out to Helensvale train station where you can take the train to Brisbane city. And of course all the way back again. Clear as mud?

If you are flying in to Gold Coast airport, then the #777 double decker bus from airport to Pacific Fair where the tram will be waiting for you to Southport is the go.
PM me if you prefer......Where in Southport are you staying, and I can tell you how far away the tram will be for you.

As the opening is at Carrara stadium, there will be buses to pick you up from all over to the stadium no doubt.

It's gonna be a good couple of weeks.........Enjoy.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
P.S. Just saw where you are, so driving here I guess? Quick easy drive, but park the car and don't touch it again until you leave as it's gonna be a real busy time.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Lol - didn't even know they were on. Zero interest.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Thanks, Gossie. Yeah, we are driving there, routine trip for us, and the car will be parked, not to be used.
We are familiar with the area, only metres from a bus stop, and an easy 10 minute stroll to the Aquatic Centre.
Looking at current time tables of the area, a bus/tram will take over an hour for travel, and that is timing it perfectly for connecting buses, so not looking forward to that unless they provide dedicated express services.
I am hoping that ‘in the fullness of time’, I can get better info, but as Newcastle Buses have just discovered, there is a major motor race event in Newcastle within 3 weeks, and they trying to decide what to do about it. Presumably, Gold Coast officials are better at it than that.
So, I appreciate if any locals had info or gossip.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I'll bet my bottom dollar there will be dedicated buses and stops to and from the various venues.
In your case for the opening, there will be pickup buses in Southport central, an easy walk for you, to Carrara and back again.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
That gives me a good starting point, many thanks.
When I said we are familiar with the area, that was from a ‘drive yourself and walk tourist’ point of view. Have been to Australia Fair a number of times, but was not aware of the central bus terminus, thought it was just a normal transient stop en-route to other places.
It seems logical now that it would be a major starting point, so I will keep a watch for further announcements.

As for the Supercars in Newcastle at the end of the month, it seems they are planning free transport from the MacDonald-Jones (Knights) Football Stadium to drop off points along Hunter or King St.
Sometime this week, I hope to get a (very slow) lap of the circuit to see if they have managed to transform a really dilapidated end of town into something we can be proud of.
The local cops have already warned wannabe racers about excessive exuberance.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
FWIW Fig, these days there are some wonderful ethnic restaurants in Southport.
Not your very ordinary old Aussie type stuff, but truly good Korean, i.e. Dai Bark and further on toward the water, Star middle eastern, so suggest go for it for a real meal when your here.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage