Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

202 advice.

eggle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sl/e
gday, im lookin to do up a 202 blue or black motor and was wondering what stores around ipswich/brisbane area would help with the modifications? being the first time modifying an engine i have little to no idea where to start.

can i just ask a mechanic to do work on an engine for me? or do i have to buy parts and then have them put on?

also can anyone give me a rough price of working a 202 (cam, head, holley, headers, exhaust, good block.)

edgeyvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive V8
A performance 202 will not be cheap. Cheap compared with a V8 but still costly.While there are plenty of parts around at good prices if you don't have the know how to throw it together the labour involved from the mechanic will blow the price out.
Look for a 202 for sale as a complete engine which has already had the work done, i.e. yella terra head, YT rockers, flat top pistons, steel crank etc. This will save you a heap on building it yourself. Buying 2nd hand
you'll still be up for $2000 - $4500 for that engine but thats cheap considering the cost of building one to that performance level.
Talk to people who have built hot 202's before as they'll be able to tell you the do's and don'ts with first hand knowledge.
Can't help with mechanics up your way sorry.
Good Luck with it.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Do up a 186 instead, they rev higher and produce more torque. Paint it blue, cable tie some hoses around it, police probably won't know any different.

Trav001

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 VH SL 3.3 Litre 5 speed, 2002 VY Executive
gday im new to the forum, today i bought a VH commodore (my first car) which has a blue motor, it has a burnt out valve in the 5th cylinder(not my fault), I was wondering (since we are on the topic of doing up 202's) does anyone know how much a stainless steel or titanium valve set will cost, im not looking for installation cost either because i can do that myself. I seen a Red motor once for $50. those are good for first timers

Dose Pipe

Reaction score
At the time of this post, under your mothers bed w
Members Ride
It's quicker then your mothers VN
Do up a 186 instead, they rev higher and produce more torque. Paint it blue, cable tie some hoses around it, police probably won't know any different.

actually 202's make more torque due to having a longer stroke :)

and blue motors also has xu1 style conrods and a counter weighted crank

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The torque curve is sharper then, they rev quicker and get to maximum torque faster. They produce the torque better than the 202 is what I should have said.

Trav001

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 VH SL 3.3 Litre 5 speed, 2002 VY Executive
the blue motor in my VH idles at about 500rpm, im told thats good.

stroke it

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC,VK, VN
I'd use the black 202 over a 186. Superior bottom end and the black head is comparable to the old 9 port stage three yella terra.

The best bang for buck is forced induction, ie. supercharging.
The Toyota blower setup from the Castlemaine rodshop (though others are doing it now as well) is a great deal at around $1800.
I'd include a stroker kit from bryant engineering, you supply the black crank, and it takes out your 202 to 249. Its a complete kit using hemi rods new quality pistons, bearings etc for $2000.
With just a mild cam this combination pulls like a train throughout the rev range. ie, no need to flog its tits off.

Last edited:

Dose Pipe

Reaction score
At the time of this post, under your mothers bed w
Members Ride
It's quicker then your mothers VN
Those chargers from crs wont keep up with a 3.3L engine and also the charger is mounted upside down

your best beat is the turbo route buy a complete garrett strata kit and have some fun with that if you want to go efi you will need everything custom made and the intake manifold will let the whole setup down

Stoke it are you talking about a modified ford 221 crank? if so they only stroke it to 234