Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

202 advice.

FCCOOL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore,VP 5.0 calais, 2x59 FC,
what are you pepared to spend.
black is the best but it has nasty smog gear witch should be hooked up to be legal, the oldest you can go in a VH is a blue motor(173 or 202)
if you want a mild hottie read the street machine grunt hunt.
Advantages of a red are a lighter crank that can spin up quicker and less or no smog crap.
The lighter crank is also a disadvantage as it isnt as smooth without counterweights.
if you cant build any of the motor you should try and find a fresh hottie for sale.
i spent 5k at the engine shop on my holden six and still have to put it together, i also supplied alot of parts on top of that so if you want it to be fast you need to save hard, with the availabillity of cheap factory v8 commodores it isnt really worth it, maybe if it was a LC-LJ or something earlier it would be worth it.
you can also get efi 3.3's for around $300 now.

Dose Pipe

Reaction score
At the time of this post, under your mothers bed w
Members Ride
It's quicker then your mothers VN
Like above it costs alot of money to build holden 6's with absolute no gain out of it there old motors and cost way to much to build but if i was to build one it would be

stroked
twin cam
blown (big gm blower)

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
As said. A holden six is piss easy to build. Machining is cheap so are the parts. If you have the know how it's far worth it then a conversion but at the end of the day nothing replaces cubes! I have to say tho you get a better feeling raping the arse off a 5ltr with a 20+ yr old 3.3ltr straight six :)

grantisaac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX11
Mate,If you want a basic setup for a daily driver and remain reliable have the block bored and fit a set of ACL Race Series Pistons as fitted to the HQ racers.Find a secondhand yella terra head and use a mild cam with extractors.This will give better throttle response and a gain in power over standard without going overboard.

stroke it

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC,VK, VN
Stoke it are you talking about a modified ford 221 crank? if so they only stroke it to 234

No mate thats a pro stroke kit. im saying Bryant Engineering. apparently Pro stroke havnt had any problems with the ford crank but im just not into welded cranks.

I actually have this setup and it works fine, doesnt keep up? Yes it does.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
As said. A holden six is piss easy to build. Machining is cheap so are the parts. If you have the know how it's far worth it then a conversion but at the end of the day nothing replaces cubes! I have to say tho you get a better feeling raping the arse off a 5ltr with a 20+ yr old 3.3ltr straight six :)

:thumbsup:

Dose Pipe

Reaction score
At the time of this post, under your mothers bed w
Members Ride
It's quicker then your mothers VN
No mate thats a pro stroke kit. im saying Bryant Engineering. apparently Pro stroke havnt had any problems with the ford crank but im just not into welded cranks.

I actually have this setup and it works fine, doesnt keep up? Yes it does.

yeah im not a fan of the welded cranks either but they have been around for some time

you will find the charger is a little to small and if you upgraded to a SC20 (off some landcruiser or something) you would gain a fair amount of power as you would be able to get more up in the rev range IMO

stroke it

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC,VK, VN
yeah im not a fan of the welded cranks either but they have been around for some time

you will find the charger is a little to small and if you upgraded to a SC20 (off some landcruiser or something) you would gain a fair amount of power as you would be able to get more up in the rev range IMO

Yeah back to back i would get more power from a SC20 for sure.

stroke it

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC,VK, VN
and also im not a fan of the teflon coating on the rotors.

yeah look if you thrash the guts out of it yeah, but the seal will go usually before that happens.
Honestly/ the toyota blower isnt designed for horsepower hero's, in my situation it works fine and i have good strong torque up to 5200rpm but i dont cane the tits off it.
If you want all out, spend the cash, turbo charge it and wring its neck.