Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

202 and 173

spauldj308

S Pack Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S sedan 5L, VSII ute
Everyone used to fit a 350 Holley. In my opinion and from experience unless the motor is fully worked they are too big for a Holden six. People who had them fitted would get them rejetted when once they realised they got only 10mpg and had no guts. The end result was an expensive carby that offered less performance and efficiency than the standard carby. The Holley 180 was much better suited but were hard to find.
The Holley was the thing to have though so everybody got one.
The noise they made convinced many that their cars were going quicker.

I have heard in some circles that the 320 Holley is perfect for the 202. Any feedback?

sir355

Father Figure
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SENATOR 215, HZ ute
Hey guys, the 173 is a good little motor and the 202 has its benifits aswell. The 179 or HP blocks are the best because of their stronger crank. I had an old group n race car ( eh ) which i registered. It had a 179 with sleeves in the bores, 12 port head, massive valves, crane platinum rockers, triple 48 webbers with bored out chokes, the biggest solid cam, windage tray etc and the biggest custom extractors that would fit. The thing absalutely hammered. It had the crash box and locked up 3.55 gears, and went right off the clock.
I now own a 186 which is running on gas with a 350 holley and lukey extractors. It runs awsome not a problem at all, and is economical.
So no matter wat you do from mild to wild you have many options.
I would go for the 202. Change the ignition from points to electric, i nice crane cam, a carter electric fuel pump, holley 320 economaster carb and a nice set of extractors, and i think you will be very happy!!

10000_fists

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VP com
I had a hj kingswood with a red 202, black motor heads(vk) and vk fuel injection, a custom cai taking air from below the bumper bar anto a k&n panel filter, a towing cam from C.O.M.E racing, genie extractors, 2 1/2 zosrt with a hot dog(sounded pretty mean),electronic dizzy(blue 202) blue 202 ignition (HEI) 10mm leads, good spark plugs i think they were NGK iridum or something like that and running straight gas, it used get up and boogey and it was pretty cheap to run.... 60 litre gas tank approx $23-26 to fill 250-280 litres to a tank.

What i didn't do that would be even better is to rebuild the motor and use decent bearings and pistons like acl, 20 thou or 30thou over bore, and use the crank and rods from a blue or black 202.... motor like that with all the things i did and a vc/vh would be a very quick and economical car.

Last edited:

sir355

Father Figure
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SENATOR 215, HZ ute
just did a round trip from sydney to golburn ( how ever you spell it ) 400km round trip, with the 186 on gas. $40 bucks. Thought that was awsome. And she is running a bit rough at the moment!!

VH commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH and VT S2 Berlina ecotec
just realised how old this thread is but o wells

i love the old 202. i been driving my vh for 2 years, blue 202 never misses a beat. the car sat for 3 years started every few months or so...even still it still goes like new. i get 400km to the tank 63L which is pretty much as good as our vt commodore. recently i put a 34adm weber on it...other than that just serviced it...goes pretty good, too it to the drags for a laugh, got a 17.7...surprised me considering apart from the carby its stock...doesn't even have extractors.

i was going to rb30 the vh but i just love the blue motor too much lol, so im planning on doing this...The Castlemaine Rod Shop Supercharger Kits

with a full rebuild and the charger she should be round 300hp ?? maybe should go nuts. :thumbsup:

XeKToReX

Put it on credit!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL, VR Exec, VS Stato, VT Clubby #555
haha i always wanted one of those castlemaine kits, pretty wild, hearing that 202 burble and a nice charger whine

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
maybe but my vh is gonna be stripped down to just nuts and bolts n its gonna be fun, one less vh on the road :p got a **** load of parts that are gonna be made available, extractors chrome pieces.

Adam Perth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore ute
a 173 in a HQ-Wb = poor performance and economy.

173 in torana / comm ok.

JoshSvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Sedan - The Beige Bandit!
A mate of mine had a 173 and he had to do a big run up to get up my driveway in it.. Was funny.