Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

202 Black carby EST troubles

KnobMuffin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 2L
Hi guys

There is a wagon VK 85 with a black 202 with dual fuel carby that wont spark properly. I have connected a plug from the coil and have grounded it to the engine and I only get one spark then nothing. The EST light on the dash wont light up when I switch the car on. I have checked the ignition fuse, that was blown and replaced but still the same issue. Is the computer busted??

I have a few questions about these cars:

1. How does the EST system work? What and where is the sensor it uses to time it properly??

2. Will a 202 with manual gearbox bolt into a VN??

3. Can you replace the carbed inlet manifold with a fuel injection manifold easily and bolt on??

4. Will a auto computer work in a manual car??

Cheers guys, I wanna get this thing started.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
1. How does the EST system work?

It doesnt, its the most unreliable piece of **** ever.

What and where is the sensor it uses to time it properly??

Temperature, Speed sensor (equivelent of a CAS), and a few more, sorry I cant remember them

2. Will a 202 with manual gearbox bolt into a VN??

Anything is possible, in theory yes the motor would bolt in (same K-frames) but the gearbox would be different I think. Its also not legal and does not show any benefits over using the Buick, you would be crazy to do it lol.

3. Can you replace the carbed inlet manifold with a fuel injection manifold easily and bolt on??

Yes, do a search theres plenty of info on this conversion. You simply use the VK EFI gear, bolt on the head upwards and wire it all up, plus a few changes to the ignition and fuel system but a pretty straight forward conversion, best way is to buy an EFI wreck and use all the parts you need, seems to be the cheapest when you can pick them up for under 300-400.

4. Will a auto computer work in a manual car??

As far as I know there is no diferrences between the computers, but I could be wrong.

To get the car started you would be best to scrap the entire EST setup, its pretty straight forward, disconnect battery, disconnect the computer, replace dissy with a VK EFI one or a Blue motor Elec dissy, wire it up using all the same wires, connect battery, time it up, run vacuum advance line and burn the remains of your EST.

hiy_po

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Executive
Hi Knobmuffin
Just thought Id add a bit. Your EST is a simple means of trying to get a min amount of emissions from your exhaust, while still keeping the carb. It is fired by your crank angle sensor and uses a water temp sensor with a map sensor to time the spark.
An MSD 6AL or anything along the same lines can be used instead of the EST computer. Can be as simple as removing the black/brown wire from the neg side of the coil, plug your crank trigger into the 6AL`s mag pic-up then wire up the MSD as per instructions (the white wire is not used) using your EST dizzy and a MSD or sim coil. Im not saying its legal to do but It prolly will improve the VKs responsiveness.
Another thing is its more likely your coil is at fault than the EST computer, I would try start it with a good coil before I started pulling out EST stuff.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
or use the blue 202 elctronic VK dizzy all sorted.