Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

202 block preping. Building a motor.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Too a degree.

In QLD, as far as I know (last time I checked was when I just got my P's) A p Plater can modify thier car however they want as long as it doesn't break the 200kw barried. P Platers can't add a super/turbocharger or drop in a V8.

Basically all the other standard rules apply, like getting a mod plate for a roll cage etc

Sorry mate no modifications that require approval from a Authorised Person, and basically that means any mod, since any mod that increases engine power will change the emissions, which than require retesting. Even a simple exhaust can get you done, though I've never heard of someone get done for one.

* eight or more cylinders
* a turbo-charged or super-charged engine that is not diesel powered
* an engine that has a power output of more than 200 kW as per the manufacturer's specifications
* a rotary engine that has an engine capacity of more than 1146cc as per the manufacturer's specifications
* a modified engine that must be approved under section 13 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management — Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2010.

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Personally, I'd put the 202 in a bin, and spend the cash that you were going to spend on the 202 into doing a V6 conversion.

I've been doing a lot of research and from what i've seen/driven, a V6 gives a better power to weight ratio and is (when stock or tuned) better than a kitted 202.

you obviously havent driven a decently worked 202 then, with the right internals they are just as quick ,sometimes quicker than a v6.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
202's are great when worked and rev more than a v6 and sound better LOL but the sad fact is a worked 202 tends to make similar HP to a stock $150 ecotec from a wrecker

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Series I VY SS Ute 5.7/M6
I went down to QLD Transport and told them about my weber carb that i'm going to fit and they basically went 'whoopty do'.

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Sorry mate no modifications that require approval from a Authorised Person, and basically that means any mod, since any mod that increases engine power will change the emissions, which than require retesting. Even a simple exhaust can get you done, though I've never heard of someone get done for one.

But i wouldnt be modifying the engine, i would be changing it to another one. Or am i missinturperting what you said?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Nah I'm aiming it at Pie-VK's comment on modifications being legal as long as its under 200kw. Your 202 should be right.

To be fair to anyone, there is dick all chance of an internal mod being spotted by ol' mate cop on the side of the road, unless its some ultra lumpy cam, and I have never heard of someone getting done for a loud exhaust (that wasn't having a go at the cop).

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
So saying that, dropping a V6 in is legal? From what im guessing its a stock engine, under 200kw. But then it also states about the blue plate, but its in regards to emissions, tho doing the conversion, you have to do it right with all the emission gear from that model to be able to get the blue plate. I really dont understand this law.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
No, engine conversions requier engineering. Thus ilegal.

Either buy a $500 VN and drive it into the ground, or rebuild the 202 and bump the compression right up :D. Won't be super fast, but it'd be cool.