Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

202 block preping. Building a motor.

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Evening guys. Im looking at building a 202. Im going to buy another black 202. But im getting domething with a bore size of 30thou or smaller. As i have heard that bring it out to 40thou is an excelently balanced 202.

What im wondering is what i should do to the block. I will be taking it to a engine builder to do the work to the block.

So far i know i want it honed to 040thou, new welsh plugs, cam bearings and a chem clean.

Basicly what im wanting to know is what else should i get? Things i have heard of are:
Decked, o-ring, blue printed.

I know what oringing is, but un aware if i should get it done.

Im keen to hear some ideas, what im building is a good engine that will last ages, wont leak and put out some power with cams, head work, carbys.

Im looking to spend around $400 just on the block alone (must include cam bearings as im not confident enough to change them myself). So shoot me some ideas, thanks guys.

vktorana

Reaction score
Members Ride
efi 202 torana, vk project car!
Lol did he just say 202 that won't leak? Well I'd be putting aside a few grand to weld it together! In my opinion from personal experience... Do away with the 202... I had a massive soft spot for em too. Eventually you will just get fed up with all the problems they get. I did the same n spent about 1200 on reconditioning a 202. That didn't include labour. Drove around for a bit n didn't thrash it come round a corner and suddenly died. Distributer gear broke. N fixed that then the carby would play up n then it was overheating. Point is they are old and in my opinion not worth the hastle or the money. Anyways it's up to you lol I just can't wait to say I told you so! :p

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Honestly, all you need done to the block is:

Chemically cleaned
Bore & hone
Cam bearings fitted
You can fit welsh plugs yourself.

That's it really, you could have it decked, but you need to be careful of compression ratio. If the block surface is ok (read, flat & straight), it really doesn't need to be decked.

No need at all to O-ring it, that's only for really high comp N/A engine or blown/turbo engines. Not warranted on a street engine.

Blueprinting, again not really warranted on a street engine.

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Thanks for the info guys, im sticking with the 202 since im a p plater.. Since my engine is near dead im wanting to build somethign thatll last a few years so i dont have to touch it again pretty much or even sell it once im off the Ps.

I dont mind spending the money for a good 202, i just want it to last. Ill be calling a few places to get some quotes for the block tomorrow.

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
This current engine has: Rear main leak, bad oil pressure apparently, blown head gasket, leaky valve (or the smoke could be a result of the head gasket) death rattle at start up in the bottom end.

This is why i want to build a nice 202 that will last and wont let me down.

vktorana

Reaction score
Members Ride
efi 202 torana, vk project car!
P plater hmm ok lol. Well not sure about other states but the new sa laws ya can still do a v6 conversion. Rang everywhere before we started doing my brothers cos he only just got his p's. We gonna put better cams n extractors on it n full exhaust n it will still be legal to drive on p's. But that's in sa so yea