Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

202 e85 carby

Chungi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr
So I’ve got a 202 motor that originally was in a speedway car and was fully set up for methanol.
Some of the specs:
163 head on 202, +40 bore, 12.5-1 compression, 35/75 cam
The old bloke I bought it off said it had a twin barrel Holley 500 set up for methanol but I’m trying to take it back to e85 as it is easier to get, I found the Holley 500cfm ultra xp 2bbl carby for e85 but wanting to know will the carby be able to handle the compression, I’m quite new to all this sorta stuff so just looking for some knowledge and help.
Thanks in advance

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV M6 on LPG and VE SV6 A5
So I’ve got a 202 motor that originally was in a speedway car and was fully set up for methanol.
Some of the specs:
163 head on 202, +40 bore, 12.5-1 compression, 35/75 cam
The old bloke I bought it off said it had a twin barrel Holley 500 set up for methanol but I’m trying to take it back to e85 as it is easier to get, I found the Holley 500cfm ultra xp 2bbl carby for e85 but wanting to know will the carby be able to handle the compression, I’m quite new to all this sorta stuff so just looking for some knowledge and help.
Thanks in advance
The carby doesn’t care what the compression ratio of the engine is. It’s irrelevant to the correct operation of the carby. Don’t forget that you will need to make sure your fuel lines, fuel tank etc are E85 compatible as well.

As to the question of transitioning the engine from methanol to E85 I can’t really comment on that as I have no experience with either fuel type.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Cam sounds small for such high compression.

If it had big ass cam that'd probably bleed off enough pressure might have got away with running 98 fuel with timing changes.

Carby won't care about compression but switching to different type of fuel changes everything

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Cam sounds small for such high compression.

If it had big ass cam that'd probably bleed off enough pressure might have got away with running 98 fuel with timing changes.

Carby won't care about compression but switching to different type of fuel changes everything

35/75 is an old term for a 3/4 race cam lol, bloody old guys and their ancient ways.

As said above the tank needs to be plastic or a bladder tank and fuel lines need to be teflon with speed flow fittings. I'm not sure if the 202 pump is like a chev pump but you can get mechanical alco pumps for SBC which will be very close to a 202 pump or just run electric.
The engine will work fine on E85 with a holly 500 E85 carb, but I bet the manifold sucks total balls for distribution.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
35/75 was either similar in spec to lj xu1 or copy of it...may have been waggot or sme other breand back in the day that started..fark knows as I was too young to delve into the reason for it nor care.

I actually had 40/80 solid in my bushig triple webbered 202 for the lc gtr....didn't care what specs actually were as long as it worked....we didn't have much info to go on except word of mouth & odd car mag.Was super quick late 90's 'street racer with 13.1 pb at old Eastern Creek track.

3/4 race cam & stage 5 heads was total bs even back then...silly ad gimmicks.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag