Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

202 in VL

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
My mate is dead serious in putting a worked 202 in his vl berlina :bang:.....Basiclly how would you go about modifying the engine mounts to do such a fukd up conversion......any thoughts?

Yea he sais hes sick of the motors they call rb's....wtf!!!!

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
It's illegal coz of the anti-pollution business isn't it? I'm pretty sure it can't be done legally.

V-ahhh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN/VT
i reckon look up a rb30 to 202 conversion and do the oppisite? but why would he bother going backwards? i guess it would be uniuqe though.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
illegal dont wast your time it wont pass!

GLD-086

Reaction score
Even if it was legal, it would still be going backwards.

The RB30 is a 10 times better motor, then the 202.

Nothing againsnt 202s, but they are very old and the RB30 is alot more advanced.

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Iv said the same to him. Technically i cant see why it would be illegal as its just a motor going into a different shell. Whats the difference between going into another vk or a vl? Its still releasing the same amount of pollution into the attmosphere no matter what car its going into. What the?

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
The reason Holden put RB30 engines in VL Commodores was to meet the new stricter emmission laws that came in in 1986. It was easier to import engines from Japan than modify the old 202 to meet emission laws. ADR laws will only allow a different engine if it meets the emission laws of a vehicle manufactured in that year

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Get him to consider doing a V6 conversion instead of the 202.

If he is set on the 202 it will need to be on straight gas or maybe he can get it to pass emissions if he uses an EFI 202 and a carbie 202 airpump connected as well.

As for fitting

K frame wont need to be changed keep the VL steering just bolt in a 202 with its engine mounts and its gearbox. if he goes carbie he will need to change the VL fuel pump. If he goes EFI all that will remian the same.

personally I own a VK and I think he is mad wanting a 202 the engines were past their used by date 25 years ago

cheers
Scott

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
tell him he's being sacriligious. and down right stupid to put a 202 in a vl. you'll never get the same power out of a 202 as you would an rb30. tell him to put an injected 5l in if he really wants to get rid of the rb30. he has better options than a 202. why not turbo the rb30, or put in a rb25det or rb26dett?

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yea i know he's bloody crazy......His rb30 gave in. So hes alittle cut by that. He has a decent 202 from his vk which he rode off months ago. So now he wants to put the two together. The 202 would go alot better than any standard na rb30. It is a carby motor i dont think the chances are all that good lol. Thanks for the info people. Im going to look for some conversion details for him lmao.