Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

202 into a vr

Chungi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr
Gday there,
Thinking of doing a 202 into a vr swap so I have a few questions,
is vk and vn kframes the same (I’ve heard they are)?
Will a vk or vn kframe bolt into a vr?
Would I be better off making my own mounts for the 202 to my existing k frame?
Thanks in advance

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Why you'll be disappointed. for what your doing you may as well make everything you can,you must love making car parts. I think it would work out cheaper to get another early v6 for the vn. If you want to play with a 202 find something that came with the old straight 6 at least when you finished you'll have something others may want and all your efforts wont be wasted.
How much cash does one waste on a bottle of mig gas now days (the oldman would never let me use gasless on the car).

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
OP you cannot register a VR with a 202 where you live.
Maybe try find a newer engine that you like and shoehorn that in there instead.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
VB to Vs K-frames will bolt in...VN to VS you'll need V8 K-frames to bolt the 202 in....

Why you'd want to do it is beyond me...

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
In these 'modern times' putting a red 202 into a later model Holden probably isnt allowed by the authorities...I see a big upside and the same would apply to the old buick v6, red 253-308 or indeed 350-400 chevs..... that is the fancy computer and all its gremlins can be pulled out and thrown in the rubbish bin....no more false fault codes ... set the timing and mixture to please...it sounds like Holden Heaven... Mandatory ABS,AIRBAGS and whatever else...none of that in the good ole days...(not my car below) but I bet hes having more fun than us caught and forced to live in the modern era...lol Begs the question ,Has all of it for made for better safety or has it created drivers that rely on technology to get them out of a sticky situation rather than driving to the conditions? I once had a 355 worked Torana with a 2 stage powerglide that had more hook than my factory stock injected LS1 VX...and when you floored the Torana, it did what it was told unlike the VX...lol

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
In these 'modern times' putting a red 202 into a later model Holden probably isnt allowed by the authorities...I see a big upside and the same would apply to the old buick v6, red 253-308 or indeed 350-400 chevs..... that is the fancy computer and all its gremlins can be pulled out and thrown in the rubbish bin....no more false fault codes ... set the timing and mixture to please...it sounds like Holden Heaven... Mandatory ABS,AIRBAGS and whatever else...none of that in the good ole days...(not my car below) but I bet hes having more fun than us caught and forced to live in the modern era...lol Begs the question ,Has all of it for made for better safety or has it created drivers that rely on technology to get them out of a sticky situation rather than driving to the conditions? I once had a 355 worked Torana with a 2 stage powerglide that had more hook than my factory stock injected LS1 VX...and when you floored the Torana, it did what it was told unlike the VX...lol

Carbs and distributers for me...Stuff this modern electronic crap.

Oh and airbags....Here's a picture of my perferred airbags

1644102733876.png

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
If you are building a paddock basher, it is probably very do-able ............ no electronics to confuse you.
If you are looking at at a road registerable car ........... forget it, just not legally allowable.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
But the 202 only managed 260 Nm peak torque. It will need souping up to be worthwhile.

The souping up will be done by a blowinher...Just need a tool to measure the torque, just to make sure those airbags prevent any injury... :p :)

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
vn-vs v8 k frame be simplest way to get 202 in there assuming it's also from a commodore.

Put vk k frame in then got to make your own intermediate shaft to match splined early steering rack to slotted late model steering column.

If stay with original v6 k frame chop the brackets off vk k frame then weld them to v6 k frame.

Whichever way you go there will be some issue to work around but not impossible although imagine it will be a slug with 202 in heavier car lol