Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

202 Lumpy Idle Cam

Acarzia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Hi there,

I currently have a red 202 that I would like to put a lumpy cam in with a similar sound to the one in this video: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/xEvAItzusqE

It is currently a stock engine, what would be need to done to the engine to get it up to spec for a cam like that and what spec cam would be the best. Thanks

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I had a 35604 in a near stock 202 and it sounded very much like that. Decent duration, tight LSA but low lift so valvetrain wasn't so critical (can get away with stock rockers etc). Still had heaps more power than stock and was happy to rev to 6k with aussie 3 speed.

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Hi there,

I currently have a red 202 that I would like to put a lumpy cam in with a similar sound to the one in this video: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/xEvAItzusqE

It is currently a stock engine, what would be need to done to the engine to get it up to spec for a cam like that and what spec cam would be the best. Thanks

I'd recommend you delay putting a "Lumpy" cam in for a couple of years. Wait till you start shaving and have got the 16 year old girl next door pregnant. Then you will have to spend the next 15 years working your butt off just so you can buy cigarettes and crack, track pants and gold chains are also expensive. By then you might have worked out spending thousands on a car just so you can drive up the main street with the car pig rooting is a waste of time and money. Or you might not! A big plus is you will still impress the bogans at the Friday night burnout comps at the Coles car park as you drive past with your lumpy idle, the adult equivalent of the playing card with a wooden cloths peg on the spokes on your pushbike ;)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd recommend you delay putting a "Lumpy" cam in for a couple of years. Wait till you start shaving and have got the 16 year old girl next door pregnant. Then you will have to spend the next 15 years working your butt off just so you can buy cigarettes and crack, track pants and gold chains are also expensive. By then you might have worked out spending thousands on a car just so you can drive up the main street with the car pig rooting is a waste of time and money. Or you might not! A big plus is you will still impress the bogans at the Friday night burnout comps at the Coles car park as you drive past with your lumpy idle, the adult equivalent of the playing card with a wooden cloths peg on the spokes on your pushbike ;)
Whollll, who invited you to the party?? :confused: :confused:

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Looks like the fun police have shown up to wave their sticks at the towns folk.

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Fun police :p first time for everything I spose. It was attempted humour for you very serious aged sensitive woke folk. Everybody who has been around cars for a while knows (or have done it themselves) a young fella who does things for the wrong reasons. Example "Lumpy idle", that comes because of an engines tune to make it develop more power higher up the rev range. You don't put a lumpy cam in just to have a lumpy idle and a useless slow speed car. How many of you driving your street cars spend much time over 4000 revs? How many actually run their cars down a timed (not out the back roads doen skids) drag track?
99.9% of a cars driving is under 4000 revs so for that a standard cam is the go.
Having said all that in the olden days I had a wild cam and solid lifters in a street car, I was young and stupid once too, just old and stupid now.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Fun police :p first time for everything I spose. It was attempted humour for you very serious aged sensitive woke folk. Everybody who has been around cars for a while knows (or have done it themselves) a young fella who does things for the wrong reasons. Example "Lumpy idle", that comes because of an engines tune to make it develop more power higher up the rev range. You don't put a lumpy cam in just to have a lumpy idle and a useless slow speed car. How many of you driving your street cars spend much time over 4000 revs? How many actually run their cars down a timed (not out the back roads doen skids) drag track?
99.9% of a cars driving is under 4000 revs so for that a standard cam is the go.
Having said all that in the olden days I had a wild cam and solid lifters in a street car, I was young and stupid once too, just old and stupid now.
120 y/o according to your profile

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
BOF must be Asian, because no Australian has ever lived to 120.