Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

202 motor with 186 head?

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
My mate keeps tellin me to fit a 186 head on my blue 202? Why should I do this?

R

rattattack1313

It will alter your compression a little bit...............a 149 head will change it looooots........ :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If you put a 186 or 149 head on , it will make a smaller space for the fuel/air mix to combust in...... hence, more OOOMPPHHHH............ :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
149 - thats a red motor right? what do i have to change to do that? apart from manifolds etc?
Will thats let me get rid of the EGR and all that bs? And what carb does the 149 use? Varajet II?

R

rattattack1313

Um....next question???? I don't know those things, sorry......but on my older Holdens I have owned, I have always hung onto 149 heads, and put them on my 186's, 202's, etc...........I used the 149 manifolds, and the normal carbie...( which was usually a bastard one I had knocked up outa several...)....... :thumbsup: Hope that helps a little bit.......

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Yeh it does thanks, how much do u reckon i can pick up a 149 hed from a wrecker for?

R

rattattack1313

Try and pretend you are doing him a favour by taking it.....................$100 is not a bad price.......manifold as well.........try and get all the hardware that comes with it........WE won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GO HOLDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

R

rattattack1313

Yea......AND ModeRATed at the same time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! looooool! !!!!!! :thumbsup:

H

Hector martinez

a 186 wont alter the compression a hell of a lot but as you said rat a 149 head which is a red motor out of old EH's will give you a boost in compression. 149's usually had a single stromberg carbie. and as for putting it on your blue 202 you 'll have to drill to more water jackets in the head or it is easier to block off the two in the block as blue 202's have 2 extra water jackets in the block/head so if you bang a red head on it without drilling the extra water jackets you will have boiling troubles :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

willi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn standard
in the dark recesses back in eh days i remember having pushrod problems with this problem.i think i put a 202 head on a 179,result heaps of revs not much compression