Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

202 noisy rocker/lifter/POS

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
I've only ever done it by just runing the through the rev range nice and gently. Slowly up, hold at around 1500rpm for a couple seconds and then slowly down.
I've only ever done it with solid lifters though.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
plenty of moly bond on each cam lobe and the base of each lifter. really should use a zinc additive to the oil to do it. once its all molybonded up try and do your best to have it all ready to fire immediatly so your not cranking-cranking-cranking, trying to get it to fire. once its started then itll take 20 mins of 1500rpm up to 3000 rpm then back down again.

its pretty easy, just a pain in the arse.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
"chuck in new lifters" sounds a lot easier than what it is. make sure you bed those babies in or you will have a lot more noise this time round.

What!? Lifters on the Holden 6 are cruisy as to do! :p

None of this manifold removing like the V type engines

And when using he screw driver method you can get TDC almost perfectly if you really can be bothered. You mark on the balancer and block when the pistons stops moving up and then wind it further till it just starts to go down again and mark it on the balancer again. Put another line between your two balancer lines so its as close to the middle as possible and then align the middle line with the line you drew on the block.

You dont need to do that, screwdriver method is plenty accurate enough for these engines.

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Coil has been replaced and got it to run, but still tapping like crazy, tho i did find the inspection plate leaking, badly. So waiting for the gasket to dry out and hope once it doesnt leak there it wont tap. I think its taping worse tho.

Could i get away with using thicker oil? Which would you recommend that i use? Its pissing me right off.