Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

202 noisy rocker/lifter/POS

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Iv have read many threads on this topic. To give you an idea of what i did was remove the old head, put on a cleaner, valve lapped, slightly ported head.

Since doing that i have gained many good things but one bad one. A noisy tapping noise that increases with revs.

Common fixes iv read:
Bad oil pressure (I have a small leak on the bottom end somewhere, never caused a problem tho)
Loose broken rocker/pivot arms (All cleaned and tight to torque specs)
Bent push rods (All straight)
Lifters (Dont see why they would be playing up on this head and not the other).

After doing the head i gave it an oil change too, so new oil and filter.

I have a new set of lifters here, but i was saving them for the new 202 im building. I dont know what else could be causing this annoying ticking noise. I think the timing might be slightly out too. Going to read up on how to use a timing light tomorrow in hope to getting better timing.

Also forgot to mention the last head had a floged out spark plug thread in number 5, to it ran like a bag of ****, but no tapping noise like this new head has.

Also i used the rockers and pivot arms that were with the new head, not the old ones.

Old head:
18009715914291080446510.jpg

New head:
16720815914306080445010.jpg

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Its not the valves clicking is it?
When they hit the seat?

Are the valve springs standard?
Not worn to the buggery?
You don't have a sticky lifter?

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
I don't know why... But I had a shitty 3.3 blue motor in a VC & if I changed the oil & didn't fit a RYCO oil filter the lifters would rattle on start up.
As soon as I changed the filter to a RYCO brand the noise would stop...Not sure if this info can be any help but for $10 worth a try.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Heres for working on the timing, timing [email protected] , seems pretty straight forward. Have you tested the light yet, see if it works?

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Cheers guys, yea mate the timing light works. Ill read up soon. I better read on how to bed the lifters before i crank it over, once i figure out why its not cranking now lol.

I also removed the dizzy to find the plastic cog was missing teeth, so it has a metal one on there now from an oil pump. Only problem is, i didnt take notice of which way to rotor button was facing so i think im going to be up **** creek because its not going to be firing right. I dont know to much about timing and dizzys.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
There's a little notch on the dizzy that is where it fires for TDC on #1 cyl, turn the motor over untill #1 piston is at TDC and check where the rotor button is in relation to the notch. Adjust acordingly.

Love the old bangers. So easy.