Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

202 won't start till key released.

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Very thirsty VT & VH project under way! YAY!!
Gurus,

For some reason my VH 202 won't fire and start till I release the key back from "start" to "run". It will just turn over and over till I let the key go.

Anyone else heard of this?

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
The coil gets it's power from 2 seperate sources. Pretty much 2 wires coming out of the ignition join together and go to the coil. One of them gives the coil power in the 'start' position, the other gives the coil power in the 'run' position. I would assume either the ignition is stuffed, or a wire has come loose.

I've attached a diagram, and went over the wires in colour which is the ones u need to look at. The yellow one would be the suss wire.

Also here's a pic of the wiring I done in my wags. Take note of the 2 wires on the bottom right of the connector. The wire with the yellow terminal comes around and joins into the terminal next to it. This is not the standard wiring, but those 2 wires are wat feeds the coil (one when the ign is in the 'start' position, and the other in the 'run' position), so they are the ones u need to look at. Also, just incase ya wanted to know, the wire in the middle with blue tape around the end is the power source for the ignition, which goes to a direct 12v source (battery or starter motor[not solenoid]), and the wire up top with the blue connector goes to the starter solenoid so it cranks over. Those 3 (well 4, but one joins into the other) wires is all u need for the carby motors to start and run.....it's simple as!
DSCF4250640x480.jpg

Attachments

• VBVK_IGN_WIRING.jpg
    VBVK_IGN_WIRING.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 5,003

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Very thirsty VT & VH project under way! YAY!!
The coil gets it's power from 2 seperate sources. Pretty much 2 wires coming out of the ignition join together and go to the coil. One of them gives the coil power in the 'start' position, the other gives the coil power in the 'run' position. I would assume either the ignition is stuffed, or a wire has come loose.

I've attached a diagram, and went over the wires in colour which is the ones u need to look at. The yellow one would be the suss wire.

Also here's a pic of the wiring I done in my wags. Take note of the 2 wires on the bottom right of the connector. The wire with the yellow terminal comes around and joins into the terminal next to it. This is not the standard wiring, but those 2 wires are wat feeds the coil (one when the ign is in the 'start' position, and the other in the 'run' position), so they are the ones u need to look at. Also, just incase ya wanted to know, the wire in the middle with blue tape around the end is the power source for the ignition, which goes to a direct 12v source (battery or starter motor[not solenoid]), and the wire up top with the blue connector goes to the starter solenoid so it cranks over. Those 3 (well 4, but one joins into the other) wires is all u need for the carby motors to start and run.....it's simple as!
DSCF4250640x480.jpg

Mate!!! That's gold! Thank you! The car is at my grandparents house at the moment so I'll check it out when I can get back there.

Great pics to. I hope this is the issue!

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
It will be the ignition switch that is faulty. The old holden Kingswoods and Toranas used to give the same problem. The switch supplies 12 volts to the coil while the starter is cranking so the engine should start easily and then when you release the key to the run position the power to the coil goes through a resistor to drop the voltage to 9 volts so the coil doesn't get hot.