Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jo3_Blo

HZ Holden Fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
WB 1 Tonner, VS Ute
Gees, there's still a fair bit of money involved. $2500 upwards.

And another thing I have to factor in is that I will be governed by the new P plate laws. But then again the cops won't really be able to tell that my motor is that modified will they? Are the YT heads look exactly the same as the stock ones?

And another thing, if I get my motor rebuilt I would probs build it so that it can run on GAS or Unleaded or probably both.

If the time comes, I'll probs just rebuild it to fairly stock specs, maybe a cam or something, I dunno, we'll see when the times comes.

Thanks for the info Pub!!

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
yella terra look stock beside mainly yellow paint doesnt mean they got to be yellow though you wouldnt be able to tell with out removing manifolds though double valve springs might indicate performance.
If your going gas or unleaded a dissy regraph will be in order. My last 202 in the vh had that much compression and the original dissy that it was utter rubbish unless i put 98 in it and itd still ping even then.

Buy an exchange head is the easiest and cheapest way to run gas hardened seats and valves in it so recssion doesnt become an issue

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
starfire rods $500 balanced and all the rest all ready

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
pub247 whats the diffrence between blue heads and black efi heads?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
blue black and efi ones have minor differences depending on which model it came from some say efi flow a little better but i doubt they do only main difference is they dont have the air injection ports on exhaust which could improve flow slightly. Hence why i said get an efi one.
Blue you have two main types with the 173 aka 2.85lt head and the larger 202 aka 3.3lt head. I put a blue 173 head on my VH and rebuilt the yella terra one on it the compression was crazy with flat tops so i suggest not doing that

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
thats cool you can still run carby with a 12 bolt head efi or otherwise you just need manifold to suit which can either be an aftermarket one or a stock blue black carby manifold. efi jead is the way to go i reckon they cost the same as a carby head so its no big deal

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
umm depends which block your starting with efi head might gain alittle especially if rebuilt with good carb and manifold
i dont think theyre a direct boltonto a red motor some new water jacket holes have to be drillied into block not reallly an issue blue blue is fine