Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

20inch rims Vy S pac

Vy S SC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Pac Series II Supercharged L67
Hi guys, im looking into putting some 20inch rims on my 2003 Vy Spac.

I was wondering if they are a legal size and if they would void my insurance?

I have the stock FE2 at the moment but i find theres sooo much space between the tyre and gaurd with the stock 17 inch rims. Would the 20inch rim close the gap or will it just look like im 4WD-ing?

I was looking at either of these 2:

products

products

would they fit?

Cheers guys! :surprise:

Vy S SC

Reaction score
Members Ride
ohh. i checked the badge under the bonnet that has all the engine and suspension specs and it says fe2? soo confused lol!

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
s pacs dont have fe2 its just standard suspension thats why you have such a big gap :)

the s pacs come with fe2 not standard suspension.

Vy S SC

Reaction score
Members Ride
cheers thought i was right. so does that mean if i put the 20's on the gap will close? or am i better off just lowering it with the current stock 17's?

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
to be honset im not quite sure. when i got my 19s from 17s the overall diameter only changed by about 10mm i think so thats not much differance.

brodiewilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Ute, V6, Manual
the gap might close by around 5mm but you will be looking at it next to less tyre sidewall so it will look bigger

Vy S SC

Reaction score
Members Ride
cheers guys. heating the coils isnt a good idea is it? i wanted it about 40-50mm lower. have you guys got a rough idea on how much pedders would charge to drop it that much? ill have to go see them this week

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Hi guys, im looking into putting some 20inch rims on my 2003 Vy Spac.

I was wondering if they are a legal size and if they would void my insurance?

I have the stock FE2 at the moment but i find theres sooo much space between the tyre and gaurd with the stock 17 inch rims. Would the 20inch rim close the gap or will it just look like im 4WD-ing?

I was looking at either of these 2:

products

products

would they fit?

Cheers guys! :surprise:

Daniel is incorrect. FE2 was fitted to your series 2 VY S. Fe2 was standard on all VY series 2 SS, S, and SV8 sedans.

The tyre to guard gap is larger on the FE2 cars for the VY and VX models than it was on the VT model.

If you fit 20 inch rims and tyres you must :

- retain the minimum tyre load rating stipulated for your car on the tyre placard. If you put a lower than minimum load rated tyre on the car it is illegal.
AND
- ensure speedo accuracy is maintained which means the tyre diameter of the replacement tyre MUST be the same or very close to the diameter of the standard 235 45 17 size tyre fitted to your car ex factory. These are approx 645 mm in diameter which means that to retain speedo accuracy you will need to find a 20 inch tyre that fits the rim in approx 645 mm diameter.

You will not reduce the gap to the guards with a 20 inch riim and tyre unless you put on a much larger diameter tyre. However, this will throw out speedo accuracy (it will under read)and render the tyres illegal.

You reduce the tyre to guard gap by lowering the suspension with lower springs - not by fitting illegal oversize tyres.

Many of the 20 inch set ups I have seen on VYs have larger diameter tyres to achieve the minimum load rating needed. This renders the speedo reading inaccurate. Top get the correct width/diameter you need a 30 profile tyre on 20 inch rims. If you increase the rim size you must reduce the tyre profile to compensate, ie. 17 inch 45 profile , 18 inch 40 profile , 19 inch 35 profile, 20 inch 30 profile.

If you run a 19 inch on the VY you will have no trouble getting the correct tyre to cover both the load rating and correct diameter to retain speedo accuracy.
235 35 19 diam approx 647 mm
245 35 19 diam approx 655 mm

To achieve the minimum load rating on a 20 inch rim (8 or 8.5 inches wide) you will probably need a 245 30 20 tyre. It will depend on the brand though and you need to check the load ratings carefully. This will also give you a tyre diameter of about 655 mm which is very close.

With respect to vehicle insurance, you MUST advise your insurance company of a change of wheel from the standard type or size. This is a vehicle modification and you are required to disclose all vehicle modifications to your insurer. If not the insurer has the right to deny any claims you might make in future whether or not the claim was affected by or related to the modification. When you have decided what changes you want contact the insurance company to ensure they will continue to cover you if you make the change. Then disclose the modification to the insurance company when it is done and make sure this is acknowledged in writing.