Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"21. Driver air bag circuit resistance too high"...how can i fix it?

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
I got the srs light constantly on and the display says something like srs fault.
Did a computer scan and "21. Driver air bag circuit resistance too high" came up.

Checked the code on the workshop manual but there is almost a page of possibilities, non of which are clear or i could understand.

Anyone ever had this problem or know what the solution is? Hear i just have to replace the steering/horn coil/clockspring...is that true?

Last edited:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I got the srs light constantly on and the display says something like srs fault.
Did a computer scan and "21. Driver air bag circuit resistance too high" came up.

Checked the code on the workshop manual but there is almost a page of possibilities, non of which are clear or i could understand.

Anyone ever had this problem or know what the solution is? Hear i just have to replace the steering/horn coil/clockspring...is that true?

That's one thing I stay clear of and I assume most people on this forum will stay clear of also.
IMO, take it to a professional to have a look at. It's not wise to go mucking around with airbags.
If it goes off it could cause injuries and end up costing twice as much to fix.
In answer to your question....It's possibly the clock spring.

turmoil117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs berlina

You would have to take it to someone with a scan tool to clear the code after the problem is fixed anyway (assuming you used the engine light method to test for fault codes)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
With a tech 2 tool you can see what part of the air bag system has failed by reading the data from the car.

It could be the clock spring in the horn pad or the pre tensioners in the seats - the scan tool will point to which part needs replacing.

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
"21. Driver air bag circuit resistance too high" is the code that came up on the tech2 scan tool. Obviously, to my knowledge, the scan tool doesnt give you instructions on how to go about fixing the problem.

Im just wondering if anyone on here had c similar problem so i can learn what was done to fix it. The only place around here thats got the know-how to this specific issue is the holden service center... On second thought, they probably wont even know. But of course they wont say they dont know. They will just tell me that i will have to replace the air bag, the clockspring...and maybe even the steering wheel and seat. Basically everything that is remotely connected to the issue...and then hit me with a fat bill for the "check up"

SS Hatchback

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais, VT Calais, Torana
I just had the same thing come up on my VY, not sure if it was a glitch or something in the system but it did come up with the hi resistance fault so i have had it reset for the time being and so far so good, (only travelled another 50km's) . If it comes back im sure there is an issue somewhere so will have to dig futher, Ill be keeping an eye on this thread , any updates on the above?

SS Hatchback

Reaction score
Members Ride
the fault showed up again so i checked further and found the air bag resistance was around 6 ohms , bought a new clock spring, changed it out and reset fault , checked resistance and its down to around 2 ohms which is the same as all the other circuits now, so far so good and the issue hasnt returned

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
the fault showed up again so i checked further and found the air bag resistance was around 6 ohms , bought a new clock spring, changed it out and reset fault , checked resistance and its down to around 2 ohms which is the same as all the other circuits now, so far so good and the issue hasnt returned

hey mate! Still got the same problem. How did you check the resistance?

SS Hatchback

Reaction score
Members Ride
need to find a mechanic or go to holden with the fault diagnosis unit they plug in, tells all then i just changed the clock spring myself

MARCUSARNIE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 SV6 Black Commodore Wagon
I also have fault code 21-drivers airbag resistance too high.(6.0) rest are 2.2-2.8
What made you change the clock-spring?
-it could have been anything in that loop
as in connectors, drivers side pre-tensioner, cluster, the SDM, wireing, etc, etc? I dont want
to change the clock spring if its the SDM. or vice versa. Can anyone in commodore land
"game" to shed some light on a solution