Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"21. Driver air bag circuit resistance too high"...how can i fix it?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'm not sure what you mean by cripple ware. I've just used the Envyous SRS package and it did exactly what was expected.

Yep, the OEM clock spring is a little pricey but they're not all that much cheaper elsewhere unless you go second hand. Why would you go second hand on an item like this with the risk that it fails within a very short time frame.

The extra money you spent on the Vident would have nearly paid for a new clock spring.

And I guess you will never know what he was referring to since he ain't been on since 2 August 2021

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I'm not sure what you mean by cripple ware.
Software that limits or removes features unless you pay for the licensing, usually after a trial period. Not worth it for the majority of people who only use it once or twice a year if that, especially after paying $80 for the ALDL cable. I'm not sure if Envyous changed their licensing to be a single time buy, but I think I remember you had to renew the license regularly (can't remember if it was yearly or every 6 months or something), and it's also tied to a single computer.

The value in the Vident (or most other scanners you care to name) is that unless you're doing something that Envyous diagnostics products are a specialty in (most features of which largely seems to be covered by a lot of scanners), there are way better value and more versatile handheld units now which can also work on cars other than Commodores, have more features than the Envyous software (e.g. Tech2 functions), aren't tied to a computer (and the other possible issues tied to that), and are a single time buy. So while the single feature SRS software and cable is 1/3rd the cost of the Vident (not factoring in ongoing licensing), the features per dollar that you're pretty likely to use on the Vident over the lifespan of your car more than make up for the extra cost, even if you were only using it on the same Commodore and nothing else the entire time you owned it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Software that limits or removes features unless you pay for the licensing, usually after a trial period. Not worth it for the majority of people who only use it once or twice a year if that, especially after paying $80 for the ALDL cable. I'm not sure if Envyous changed their licensing to be a single time buy, but I think I remember you had to renew the license regularly (can't remember if it was yearly or every 6 months or something), and it's also tied to a single computer.

The value in the Vident (or most other scanners you care to name) is that unless you're doing something that Envyous diagnostics products are a specialty in (most features of which largely seems to be covered by a lot of scanners), there are way better value and more versatile handheld units now which can also work on cars other than Commodores, have more features than the Envyous software (e.g. Tech2 functions), aren't tied to a computer (and the other possible issues tied to that), and are a single time buy. So while the single feature SRS software is 1/3rd the cost of the Vident (not factoring in ongoing licensing), the features per dollar that you're pretty likely to use on the Vident over the lifespan of your car more than make up for the extra cost, even if you were only using it on the same Commodore and nothing else the entire time you owned it.
When l bought the envious custom srs software, l only had to buy the software & license once. That was a few years ago. Haven't had to renew the license either.
That only applies to one computer or laptop. If your computer or laptop, craps itself, then you you have to renew the license (more money). unless you've made a backup & clone the new pc with a copy of the old drive with the license & software on it.

The Body diagnostics software is $50.00 for 30 days l think, or $300.00 for a year. Dont like that.

But, I have the Vident au i400.