Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

22" Rims on VE SS UTE

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
I understand the issue with the rims, and believe me I will be looking to change them, it is not worth the hassle, as you said. I bought the car with the rims on it, I had mods done by the car yard, it passed a RWC in NSW and then again in QLD when I changed the rego over to QLD, neither mechanic picked it on the RWC, I though nothing of it until now.

The hardest decision now is, what rims now, if I am going to change them, I might aswell go something different, and in 20" instead of the 22". 245/35/20 on the front and 275/30/20 on the rear.

thewheeldeal com au

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
I understand the issue with the rims, and believe me I will be looking to change them, it is not worth the hassle, as you said. I bought the car with the rims on it, I had mods done by the car yard, it passed a RWC in NSW and then again in QLD when I changed the rego over to QLD, neither mechanic picked it on the RWC, I though nothing of it until now.

The hardest decision now is, what rims now, if I am going to change them, I might aswell go something different, and in 20" instead of the 22". 245/35/20 on the front and 275/30/20 on the rear.

I just wanted to warn others (not in QLD) that 275' rears may not even be legal. In QLD you can increase your tyre width by 1.3 (30%) so if you had 245's standard you could theoretically increase width up to 315's however in some states the width is limited by the wheel to +1". So if your standard wheels are 7.5" you can only increase to 8.5" which is too small for 275's. Also there is a clause in the NSW legislation which restricts rim width increases to 8"max. Lots of traps for young players and it really is a minefield out there.

I would also like to say that it is refreshing to come across someone who is level headed enough to recognise that something isn't right and is prepared to correct it.

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Just the man I need to speak to, looking for prices on new set of rims and tyres. I am looking at 4 possibilities at the moment for rim style. How can I get you to do me a price?

It is not worth the risk to car, human life, or the risk of not being covered by insurance. If something is not right, it has to be fixed. I love the look of the 22" rims, but there is not really that much difference between the 20 either.

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
I just wanted to warn others (not in QLD) that 275' rears may not even be legal. In QLD you can increase your tyre width by 1.3 (30%) so if you had 245's standard you could theoretically increase width up to 315's however in some states the width is limited by the wheel to +1". So if your standard wheels are 7.5" you can only increase to 8.5" which is too small for 275's. Also there is a clause in the NSW legislation which restricts rim width increases to 8"max. Lots of traps for young players and it really is a minefield out there.

What if you got the 275s on the car from the dealer as an option, as the hsv wheels take those tyres...

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
The maloo come out with 245/35/20 front and 275/30/20 rear. You can get HSV Tyre placades on ebay, they go to 20" rims and 275 tyres.

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
It does, it has all the different sizes on it. but even though it has the 275/30/20, could you get away with the 265/30/22? that is something for the tyre calculator.

But when push comes to shove, the insurance company and cops, if pushed due to an accident, would find that the placard is not the standard one and not pay, void your rego and insurance, then your up s**t creek all over again. Is it really worth the risk? I don't think so.

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
When you put in the 265/30/22 compared to the 275/30/20, the 22" is still well over what is allowed, so unless you buy a superclubby from Walkinshaw Performance, 22" rims and tyres are illegal.

My Meanie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 HDT Group A SS Blue Meanie & 2010 SSv Ute
as far as Im aware,

your only allowed to go 2 sizes up from the original size.

so if your were 18's, you can legaly only go to 20's....might be different in your state.

I'm also in the West and have been told by a number of tyre dealers I can only go up 2 sizes from standard as mentioned above when I was shopping around for 22's

VE_SS_V8

Lunatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Sedan, 57 Chev Belair, Harley Davidson
The maloo come out with 245/35/20 front and 275/30/20 rear. You can get HSV Tyre placades on ebay, they go to 20" rims and 275 tyres.

You can get the HSV tyre placards direct from holden for $12. Less than half the price they are on scam-bay. They list the sizes as 245/35/19, 275/30/19 & 245/35/20, 275/30/20..

I run staggered 20" on my VE, and have never been hassled about them, car is also insured with the 20" wheels & insurance company (SGIO) didn't bat an eyelid

Hope that helps