Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

22" Rims on VE SS UTE

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Hi all,

I have had my VE SS UTE for almost 3 months, have 22" rims, never had an issue, that was until today, when a police officer decided to just about crawl all over it looking for something wrong. As he could not find anything mechanical, he tried his hardest.

But then he turned to my rims and tyres, as the tyres are still in good condition and the rims set the car off, the height he is concerned about. I have had a look through all the information on Queensland Transport and done the calculations, and it seems like I am over the original tyres by 28mm, take off the 15mm allowed, and I am over by 13mm, that is right, 1/2" that is all, we'll just see where this goes from here, I am expecting a visit from him next week to defect the vehicle due to this. The tyres I have on are 245/30/22, the original tyres 245/45/18. If I go to 25 series tyres I can get away with the 22" rims still, I think.

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
may be getting you on the load rating of the tyres/wheels

dakman

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ute 22's lowered hardlid
you will never get load rated 22's for a ute in 30series tyres. i have the same rims and tyres as you. 245/30/22. on ebay you can buy a tyre plackard saying it comes stock with 245/35/20's and aparently you will get away with it.

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
During the discussion he mentioned that he was looking at the diametre of the tyre, compared to standard, there was no mention of load rating, my ute is not a ute as such, it is a play toy that'll never have anything else in the back except the dogs.

When you go for the 245/35/20's, the difference between standard and those is only 3mm taller, so it is well within the 15mm allowed, so that is why you can get away with it. I am going to see what happens in the next few days, if he comes around then I will be looking for a set of 20's so he will leave me alone. I am hoping he will let me off with the 1/2" over that I am.

1BEAST2NV

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 (MY09) VE R8 6.2ltr M6 475rwhp
as far as Im aware,

your only allowed to go 2 sizes up from the original size.

so if your were 18's, you can legaly only go to 20's....might be different in your state.

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
It does up here, I have been through the Queensland transport website and modifications guide, you are allowed a difference of +15mm or -26mm, the width is a maxumum of 1" also, so the VE coming with 245's is a good starting point.

I am sure it is different from state to state, I have read NSW aswell, and they're the same as up here in QLD

thewheeldeal com au

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Think about it... the limit is 15mm and you are 13mm over... you are toast... that's nearly twice the limit. If you were drinking and driving and blew .09 do you think he would let you off? No.

You can't legally do 22's on a VE because once you get the rolling diameter within limits, then the load index is too low so you are up the smelly muddy creek either way.

and to 1BEAST2NV, there is no such law as the one you describe in any state or territory of Australia.

Dazza do you still have your original wheels? If so you can at least pop them back on to pass the defect.

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
I don't have the original wheels, so it loks like I am up for a complete new set, if that is what has to happen, then that is what has to happen, I am hoping he will look at it and go, oh well, but I don't think he will, I have already picked out a new set off the net if needed, but wil take a few days to get them here.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
hey mate, I'd be less concerned about trying to pass defects through a copper, and more concerned that your wheels arent legal (13mm or not).
once your car is no longer road worthy, your insurance and is rego is worth jack.
and that's all insurance companies are looking for to not pay out- an easy excuse.
crash into a merc or hurt someone, you'll be paying for it the rest of your life... and for what, bling bling rims?

not worth it man. most people with non standard wheels that dont meet legal requirements are under the misconception that coppers are their enemy- when if fact by issuing you with a defect, they are potentially saving you A BIG headache later on with insurance and rego null and void in an accident.

I dont mean to lecture you- by all means do what you like. but you may as well stop paying the premiums to register and insure your car if you really want 22's that bad.