Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

220000 Km VT

Capt Baldman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon
Hey All..

I'm after some advise about VT Commys...

I'm looking for a VT for my 18yo Son, looked at a few, mostly been rattley buckets..

However, ive found a 98 VT Acclaim with 220000 kms, 2nd owner, full service history for about $5500 – $6000.

This car drives better than most at 150 - 180000 kms..very VERY neat inside and out, obviously well looked after.

The Question is, is 220000 kms too many for a 98 VT..?

Is there anything specific I should be looking for...?...AutoTrans..?..Diff..?
Is 55 – 6 grand too much too pay for a 98 VT..?

Thanks for your help / advise, in advance…

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Yeah... i think that's a little steap for a 98 Acclaim...

I'm a little out of touch with car prices at the moment BUT, if you use redbook as a rough guide.

The average PRIVATE sale price for a 98 Acclaim is $2900 - $4400 and the average km you can expect to find them with is between 165,000 - 275,000.

And I just did a quick search of carsales... there is a VT Exec with 159,000km for 5 grand, so you could talk him down to four and a half no worries.

And there is another own, 180,000km from a dealer for $4975, and being from a dealer I would expect the standard 3 month warranty on that.

Hope that helps and good luck

Capt Baldman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon
Hey Thanks guys, great response’s real fast…

Yep, noted what Redbook say’s, but don’t find many for there price’s…

Just been back into Carsales/Carpoint…Yeah, there are a few around, interesting to note quite a lot have 200 + km’s , I suppose not all that uncommon for a car of that age.

Looked at 3 yesday, all with 150 – 190000kms, however this one currently looking at is just a real nice example and very well looked after, I was just concerned about the k’s, but I’m sure the old Holden V6 has plenty of k’s left in her….

rch-13z, yep, price’s are sad, just to make you feel better, (or not) I recently got myself a 05 VZ Acclaim Wagon with 72000k’s for 15G…..Doh

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
I burst my auto trans cooler @ 260tho
Other than that I have full service history (i'm second owner)
Only things wrong with it throughout the whole history was leaking roker cover gaskets and rusty exhaust.
Its now hitten 280thou

But yeah... beware the auto trans if shes never been serviced like mine

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
iv got a supercharged vt s pac.. ticked over to 300thousand ks last week.. with regular servicing its never had any real problems

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
it depends where your located.
if your willing to go for a trip to Tassie (or get it transported back) you can have an 04 VZ with 140km on the clock for just $7900 - and that comes with a12 month warranty as well:
Vehicle Detail - Pickles Auctions Australia

so to answer your original question, i wouldnt be paying $5000 for any VT

VTuser97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1
My VT is coming up to 1/4 million km, serviced every 10K..., only probs so far are diff @ 190K (recon diff=$650) and fuel pump @200K ($298); very happy with purchase...HOWEVER according to some sources the VX had some structural changes resulting in it being far safer in a crash than the VT (plus side airbags). Google: "The Unofficial Holden Commodore Archive". Good luck.

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
My VT is coming up to 1/4 million km, serviced every 10K..., only probs so far are diff @ 190K (recon diff=$650) and fuel pump @200K ($298); very happy with purchase...HOWEVER according to some sources the VX had some structural changes resulting in it being far safer in a crash than the VT (plus side airbags). Google: "The Unofficial Holden Commodore Archive". Good luck.

The VX series 2 fixed the rear IRS problems which caused the camber scrub in some cars.
Side airbags were fitted in some VT series models. For example the VT series 2 S pac had the 'safety pack' which included them.

As for what was mentioned earlier with common problems in VT's with high kays, I can vouch for that as i have one (series two with safety pack:p).
I am going to look at whether or not my steering pump has gone (leaking), buy a seal kit of ebay for a total of $11 and reco it myself if it is, well that's the plan. the steering rack is a different story as it is way too hard for the backyard mechanic to reco.
The fuel pump should only go once every 200 odd thousand k's, so you would only have to drop the tank once if not twice if you plan on hanging onto your VT for a while, in its lifetime.