Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

22s, super super low in the back super low in the front

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
They're not legal. The load rating on a tyre that DOESN'T increase the rolling diameter on 22s by more than 15mm (that's the leeway) is not sufficient. So either the load rating is wrong, or the diameter is too big - either way, 22s are illegal when fitted to a VE

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Some will like some wont....just like anything else.
As for the legal side.....probably are correct as stated above...but !!!
Ive been pulled over twice now by the lads in blue and no problems.

The fact that im an older guy may be a factor...and i wasnt speeding or being a hoon

Well said... but it's not the cops you need to be worried about- its your insurance and rego being voided in an accident that would worry me.

That "but" you put in your above post, is a pretty big but :).

Perfect example:
Pissing down with rain and you ctry to come to a stop at red lights and lose traction.... heading straight through the intersection into oncoming traffic.
Because of the 22" rims you got, you've increased the contact patch on the road above manufacturer limits... and as a consequence the insurer will have a VERY strong case to say that aquaplaning was the direct result of your mods.... and not pay out one cent.
No 3rd party for any injuries youve caused, and no insurance for any property damage youve caused.

I know I'm just about to get flamed by the 22" supporters by saying that I'm being overly dramatic, but seriously.... I'm not. This is a real life scenario that most people who drive around with cars that dont satisfy ADR's arent aware of.
They think their biggest problem is cops and defects.... when in actual fact they are trying to do you a favour by trying to avoid the above situation. Can you imagine how much it would cost to support a stranger with a permanent disability because you caused it? What about the property damage (both the losses you incur on your car, and other objects you hit) ? That's a massive lifelong burden and risk, for what.... an extra 2" ?

All power to you for modding your car to your tastes, but I honestly hope it doesnt come to bite you in the arse in the future mate. You could pay for it the rest of your life.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
As long as the overall circumferance of the tire isnt changed (although i think there is a 1" leway there) your fine, the rims look huge but are still legal.

wrong mate. very wrong.

it's not just rolling diameter, its load ratings (as tinny said), offset and tyre width.

the speedo inaccuracy is the least of your worries.
wrong load rating on a tyre under load around a corner, can have serious repercussions. how would you like a blowout at 100km/h? no thanks.
wrong offset and tyre width affects the geometry of the vehicle suspension and how your car tyre makes contact with the road. you lose handling and braking, and increase the chances of losing control of the car when you least expect it.

i'll stop ranting on about legal crap now.... just trying to get the message out there to those lurkers reading this forum.... it may look "wicked", but so could the ramifications be as well.

crackah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0
Get 20"

22" looks a little too try hard imo.

I have 20" on my calais, looks allright!

QMiBQ.jpg