Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

231/239 113LSA comp cam VF2 RL

Nico36

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Hi guys, as the title suggests my VF2 RL (manual) is booked into get a 231/239 113 comp cam put in next month. Is anyone running the same cam (or VCM16 as similar grind) in their SS and how do you find it drivability wise and sound wise? Not sure if I’m a huge fan of the quick idle?

Thanks

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
I have a VCM 714 (232/234 114) in my series 1 manual and there are compromises on drivability. Carparks can be a mission if there's a lot of traffic (I usually get going and cruise with the clutch in if it's really low speed stuff or I get a bit of bucking/surging) and I wouldn't consider it if I lived in a major city and was driving through city gridlock every day. Apart from that it can be a little temperamental on really cold starts when it first gets to winter (takes about a month or so to fix itself then it seems mostly fine), this is probably a tuner thing but it got tuned in summer at sea level and I live at a 600m altitude which can affect air density so I just live with it.

The quick idle is just life with a big cam, you can't really make it idle like a stocker otherwise you open a whole can of worms - fuel wash can be a problem with big overlap cams if the idle speed is too low.

On the plus side, it sounds good - a little tamer than the 110 LSA cams but it's a little nicer to drive. It will probably be a little nicer as well in the series 2 with the shorter diff gears and slightly extra capacity to go with. Budget for a new clutch eventually though - you'll lean on it more in low speed stuff and when you make some good power it's probably at the limit for the stocker (mine made 440rwhp with a little clutch slip at ~6500RPM and up). I've done 10,000km with the cam and my clutch seems fine but I'll likely move to a mantic or similar twin plate at some stage, I try and be nice to the clutch taking off. It's oodles of fun when you get up it, sounds mental under load and scoots nicely. If you're not stuck in gridlock every day, go for it, if you are maybe consider something smaller.

Nico36

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
I have a VCM 714 (232/234 114) in my series 1 manual and there are compromises on drivability. Carparks can be a mission if there's a lot of traffic (I usually get going and cruise with the clutch in if it's really low speed stuff or I get a bit of bucking/surging) and I wouldn't consider it if I lived in a major city and was driving through city gridlock every day. Apart from that it can be a little temperamental on really cold starts when it first gets to winter (takes about a month or so to fix itself then it seems mostly fine), this is probably a tuner thing but it got tuned in summer at sea level and I live at a 600m altitude which can affect air density so I just live with it.

The quick idle is just life with a big cam, you can't really make it idle like a stocker otherwise you open a whole can of worms - fuel wash can be a problem with big overlap cams if the idle speed is too low.

On the plus side, it sounds good - a little tamer than the 110 LSA cams but it's a little nicer to drive. It will probably be a little nicer as well in the series 2 with the shorter diff gears and slightly extra capacity to go with. Budget for a new clutch eventually though - you'll lean on it more in low speed stuff and when you make some good power it's probably at the limit for the stocker (mine made 440rwhp with a little clutch slip at ~6500RPM and up). I've done 10,000km with the cam and my clutch seems fine but I'll likely move to a mantic or similar twin plate at some stage, I try and be nice to the clutch taking off. It's oodles of fun when you get up it, sounds mental under load and scoots nicely. If you're not stuck in gridlock every day, go for it, if you are maybe consider something smaller.
Thanks for the reply Smashfist I appreciate it. I think I will stick with the 231/239 and hope for the best, I just really want to get the cam right the first time and be happy with it!.