Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

241Kw V6 Camaro

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
With extra wieght comes extra comfort and safety. Plus with the V6 you'd get heaps better fuel economy, milage and cheaper insurance costs. 241kw is pretty impressive for a V6. Considering the L98 only made an extra 30ish kw over the ls6 since 2003 it's not that bad.

STOP with the economy argument, the V6's aren't that much better than the V8's these days, in fact mine does a legitimate 9l/100km - my vy v6 did 9.5/100km. My thunder ute is $300 cheaper to insure than my v6 was.
Killerwasps mean **** all - it's all marketing. Torque is what you should be looking at.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
STOP with the economy argument, the V6's aren't that much better than the V8's these days, in fact mine does a legitimate 9l/100km - my vy v6 did 9.5/100km. My thunder ute is $300 cheaper to insure than my v6 was.
Killerwasps mean **** all - it's all marketing. Torque is what you should be looking at.

+1 I respect that comment lol

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
Hmm this looks pretty good, they should supercharge this baby, give it a bit of sweet low end torque

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Thats some interesting logic there... You cant compare the v6 to the ls6 or l98 really the torque curve and power curves are very different. The way the two motors drive is very different. The only people who will genuinly believe that the extra top end power is anything worth writing home about, are the same people who continuously quote motor magazine performance statistics. Before some noob jumps up and down. Yes i've had the misfortune of enduring the mind numbing custard teasing performance that is an MY10 sv6. Numbers mean nothing.

this is true.
I don't know what the power curve is of this engine, but judging from the Alloytec's up until now, I'd imagine the low to midrange power isn't going to be anywhere near impressive as it's peak power. And that's the thing about quoting peak hp only - there's heaps of 4 cylinder cars quoting amazing power figures (Honda is the best example), but that peak figure is only available at maybe 2% of the rev range and usually (as in this case), at a particularly high rpm. Below this rpm maybe only a maximum of 140kw is available ? And these amazing power figures usually don't translate when the car is tested down the 1/4 mile. Anyone who has driven Honda's would understand how gutless many of them are until you rev the absolute crap out of them. Yet look at their spec sheet and you'd expect a car that throws you into the back seat on takeoff.

Unfortunately both manufacturers and the public are obsessed with power figures. So if a manufacturer can increase the peak figure (even at the cost to low & midrange power) they will do it. Because peak power is how the engine is going to be rated/compared by the general public

I do hope for GM's sake that this engine has a fairly wide power curve, but I get the feeling it won't

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
this is true.
I don't know what the power curve is of this engine, but judging from the Alloytec's up until now, I'd imagine the low to midrange power isn't going to be anywhere near impressive as it's peak power. And that's the thing about quoting peak hp only - there's heaps of 4 cylinder cars quoting amazing power figures (Honda is the best example), but that peak figure is only available at maybe 2% of the rev range and usually (as in this case), at a particularly high rpm. Below this rpm maybe only a maximum of 140kw is available ? And these amazing power figures usually don't translate when the car is tested down the 1/4 mile. Anyone who has driven Honda's would understand how gutless many of them are until you rev the absolute crap out of them. Yet look at their spec sheet and you'd expect a car that throws you into the back seat on takeoff.

Unfortunately both manufacturers and the public are obsessed with power figures. So if a manufacturer can increase the peak figure (even at the cost to low & midrange power) they will do it. Because peak power is how the engine is going to be rated/compared by the general public

I do hope for GM's sake that this engine has a fairly wide power curve, but I get the feeling it won't

GM wont care, they build a motor for people who understand this.
For those that read magazines and decide one what is a performer they have the Alloytec, all they have to do is SAY it makes more power and it will sell.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
So if a manufacturer can increase the peak figure (even at the cost to low & midrange power) they will do it. Because peak power is how the engine is going to be rated/compared by the general public

so true. you see how they increased the power? bigger valves and a cam... generally speaking that doesnt do wonders for the bottom end of your curve so i reckon you are spot on.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute

What a misguided post, coming from someone who owns both a VE sv6 and VE ss i'll tell you right now they are heaps cheaper to insure and use quite alot less fuel. The SIDI even more so. I manage 6.2l to adelaide and back.
I think the fact the V6 has gotten 10kg lighter and recieved a power boost is a win, everyone else having the V6 vs V8 argument need to get a grip.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute

It will most likely be the same as the current Camaro Alloytecs, if not abit better all round. I can't see GM changing it too much specially when their competitor Ford with the Duratec operates in almost exactly the same manner.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
How is it a misguided post?
You've used one trip as an example, big whoop. I personally can confirm what 04 says.

And for what little more fuel the V8 uses you get ALLOT more performance.