Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

247kw? expected or what??

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6

Gtfo..about $3 per plug US if that postage of US$8.95 applies to Australia...fuggen cheap alright!

any issues with holden if still under warranty?(im guessing probably...)

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
any issues with holden if still under warranty?(im guessing probably...)

Good question, I think it is technically a non-Holden part, so yes.
Even though NGK is the OEM for AC Delco branded stock Iridiums, same spec as TR55 in copper. NGK makes most of the AC plugs. Honeywell (Autolite) also makes plugs for AC-Delco.
According to NGK you should select one heat range colder for every 75-100 hp you add, or when you significantly raise compression. They also suggest to retard the timing a little and to increase fuel enrichment and octane. So I did, like most performance tuners and G8 guys do and while it is by no means anything like a screw in hp adder it really made a difference in my car to cold starting and smooth power delivery without detonation causing knock retard.
Having said that if it ain't broke... etc., the stock Ir plugs in the L77 are unbelievably good, all eight of mine were still perfect nick after 120,000k.
I would wait until you have some issue or are making 280-300rwkW before changing plug index, and I'm fairly certain it could be argued different plugs would affect the warranty.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Good question, I think it is technically a non-Holden part, so yes.
Even though NGK is the OEM for AC Delco branded stock Iridiums, same spec as TR55 in copper. NGK makes most of the AC plugs. Honeywell (Autolite) also makes plugs for AC-Delco.
According to NGK you should select one heat range colder for every 75-100 hp you add, or when you significantly raise compression. They also suggest to retard the timing a little and to increase fuel enrichment and octane. So I did, like most performance tuners and G8 guys do and while it is by no means anything like a screw in hp adder it really made a difference in my car to cold starting and smooth power delivery without detonation causing knock retard.
Having said that if it ain't broke... etc., the stock Ir plugs in the L77 are unbelievably good, all eight of mine were still perfect nick after 120,000k.
I would wait until you have some issue or are making 280-300rwkW before changing plug index, and I'm fairly certain it could be argued different plugs would affect the warranty.

Unless it's way out there I highly doubt they'd bounce you for non OEM plugs. That said, once they figure out you have non standard tune (aka the moment they plug in a tech2) your drivetrain warranty is history.

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeh fair enough,not worth my while with low k's,mild mods and good long lasting plugs in it as pointed out..cheers tho,they sound appealing for those in more km travelled VE's.

Speaking of warranty,and I know off track a bit more even so apologies it will be my last tangent(today at least)...thoughts on extended holden warranty..any benefit on the resale side of things or just good money down the drain essentially ..REAPER,PIR4TE ?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Tough decision, but close to 100,000k in the saddle and a whole lot of reading and conversations with knowledgable people led me to forego the risk-averse insurance bet. I decided to spend the cash hotting her up a bit instead.
Now at 145,000, going harder than ever, my problem is I can't find a good excuse to pull the heads, drop the trans or swap out something because it all works much more reliably and better than I expected.
YMMV

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep,i hear ya..thanks for the input...guess if I do it I will do it soon so that the expense isn't too close to changeover of the car as I am very likely to sell it within about 12 mths of normal warranty expiring.So for me it would be more "possible" appeal to the next buyer and a smaller % for 12 odd months of peace of mind,sooo may not be worth it for me either.Aint cheap the last time I looked!
Anyways ,wont clog up the thread any more back to the kilowatts chase......:smoking:

yorky

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss
Hey,
ve ss 6.0lt otr, pacemakers 4-1, twin 3" X-force, 100 cell cats, no mid muff,,, re-tune buy REPARABLE (ha, right!) tuner!
smoked by 5.7 with pacemakers and 2.5 exhaust!
F@#K!!!!
Found our local Guru (after quite a bit of 'heart ache')... ya cars ****!.......GREAT!...NOT.
I booked it in for 15000 service and re-tune to see what was what.
Good news "your cars not F@#Ked"!.... Just waisted your $ with a BIG NAME company, It's go no torque at all, Stock pick up. **** TUNE.
He got it from what it was to 284 rwkw, then backed it down to 276 and raised the bottom end torque.
SHAME AND BALME????
the BIG NAME orignal exhaust, then they passed on to the BIG NAME tuner (with a suggested CASH in envelope payment) method!... F@#K I feel raped by these fools!
WE LIVE AND WE LEARN

yorky

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss
Working 3 Jobs for a while, Hands bleeding hahahaha.... No time for F@#K wits crap! (not u guys)
...Dreaming of my next mod, Cam booking (tentative) in two weeks.
Please :idea3: what cam......??????
every fortnight i do a 5 hr hi way drive (averaging 9ish lt/100 km)
otherwise, it's a Freak'n V8 Toy, love it!
....if you were me, what!? research is getting me know where, Lad at the shop said "BIG ONE" after I asked him?????????????? he's a cool lad and it was a quick question by me so??? reckon he may be just goosing around.....
Sounds good but

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
I have got a headache. What the fark was all that about??????

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
LOL....that was interesting reading,but have not much clue either...