Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2500 RPM limit when stalling up.

PAUL3T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ
Just wondering if anyone has info on this suspected 2500rpm limit on a vz v6 auto. Does it in drive with foot on the brake.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Every auto has a certain speed where the torque converter stops slipping. With the brake on hard and the throttle down, you cannot get to max rpm. You will only get to your converter stall speed.

PAUL3T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ
Oh okay, so they must come with a 2500rpm stall? Every car I have been in normally breaks traction when stalling up. The commodore just bogs down and sits at 2500rpm

PAUL3T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ
Yeah heard about that and wondered if that’s what it was. Tune to fix it then I guess

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
there is also brake torque management so foot on brake won't allow the engine to over power it

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
My VZ V6 auto does the same. Foot on brake pedal and trans in Drive, bring the revs up and bingo the ecu kills the throttle.
Same thing happens if you rev it up with the trans in Park.

PAUL3T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ
My VZ V6 auto does the same. Foot on brake pedal and trans in Drive, bring the revs up and bingo the ecu kills the throttle.
Same thing happens if you rev it up with the trans in Park.

Apparently the alloytech has a 4000rpm limit for neutral and park which is understandable. However the limit in drive seems to be something different. I think it’s what the other guys have said. Torque and Brake management retarding the timing to cut torque to the wheels. Tune should fix it

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Apparently the alloytech has a 4000rpm limit for neutral and park which is understandable. However the limit in drive seems to be something different. I think it’s what the other guys have said. Torque and Brake management retarding the timing to cut torque to the wheels. Tune should fix it

Thanks for the advice Paul however mine doesn't need fixing. That's the way it was designed, then that's how it will stay.
I have no inclination to want to be able to sit stationary whilst the engine is screaming at 6000rpm with rubber, smoke and $$$$$ being chewed to pieces.

Cheers
Dave.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Imo not worth having an alloytec retuned. Cost vs benefit isn’t great...

Plus, unless you have **** tyres they won’t spin the wheels anyway.