Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

250k on a vt buying trouble?

andrew81

Reaction score
Members Ride
want a vr or vs
Hi
I'm looking at buying a wagon. Was originaly looking at vr/vs but have seen a few nice vts.

The cheaper ones seem to have around 250,000 on them. Is this going to be buying trouble or are they still reliable with a few km on them?

minitsbay

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
not really

it all depends on the car the service history if its been maintained
i usually go by an average of 20,000km a year when working out km versus age of a car
so a 98 model vt should be around the 220,000km mark

but as i said all depends on how its been looked after as with any car

holden boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s
na should be sweet if its been looked after had a vn v6 get to 350k before the engine decided to have a fit
and then it could have still been fixed but probably cheaper not to and was looking for a new car anyway nearly so i still drove it down to the car yard and brought a newer commodore and used it as a trade in :)

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
My mate who is an apprentice mechanic bought a VR with 260,000 Km on the clock because it was better that any other VR with much lower Km's that he had tested. The reason being maintenance. If the owner has looked after the car, servicing it regularly and as needed then you should go for it over a car with less km's but a sketchy service history.
Unless you are going for a VT manual, then you gotta pretty much take what you can get in your price range.

paulforaname

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
if you can wait , i would look for something with less K's as you will be forking out for repairs, if you do find something with high ks but has had the usually things at go at about the 150 to 200k mark and has consistant history you should be ok but then again, buyer beware so make sure you have it checked over by RACV etc, its worth it

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I would buy a well looked after/maintained car with 250,000km over an abused example with 100,000 km on it any day.

Reaper