Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

253 into a VK

Bastian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
How would the diff hold up. So I'm better off going for the 308? Its just a bloody nightmare trying to find one! The VN/VP EFI are pretty expensive still too. Any ideas where to look specifically? VK 308 is well and good if I could actually find one

tigervh

SS.....smokin....!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Tiger Mica EFI VH, VZ SS, XC Barina SRI
Because technically its illegal so that means instant insurance void. Youll be paying for that Merc or Audi "you didnt see".

It is a commonly held myth that it is illegal to fit a 253 into a VK Commodore. The fact is both the 1983 onward VH blue 253 and the VK black 308 are built to comply with ADR27C. You can fit an older engine to a vehicle so long as it complies with or exceeds the ADR's of the original engine.

I am not familiar with the Victorian regulations for substituting engines in light vehicles but a quick search of the Vicroads website returned this document.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/CC48FC10-4D57-4F04-82E1-3BD72EF88340/0/VSI8.pdf

I'm not going to type out the whole thing, you can look it up yourself. In short you can fit an engine not offered in that model by the manufacturer if the replacement engine is of a similar size, power output and emission standards as the original engine. You don't need engineering certification unless you have to alter the structure of the vehicle or alter engine mountings and gearbox crossmembers.

So there you have it, you can legally register a VK with a 253.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
I'm not going to type out the whole thing, you can look it up yourself. In short you can fit an engine not offered in that model by the manufacturer if the replacement engine is of a similar size, power output and emission standards as the original engine. You don't need engineering certification unless you have to alter the structure of the vehicle or alter engine mountings and gearbox crossmembers.

I used that rule in NSW to fit my V6 the the VK without an engineers certificate as in NSW the engine was allowed to be within 15% increase of the largest size available which was obviously a 5L 308. The RTA told me because i hadnt used an aftermarket front end, (ie VP front end exactly same as a VK one) i was allowed to register it without a formal inspection, they didnt care about gearbox crossmembers. As long as all the new engines emissions gear was hooked up your good to go.

tigervh

SS.....smokin....!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Tiger Mica EFI VH, VZ SS, XC Barina SRI
I used that rule in NSW to fit my V6 the the VK without an engineers certificate as in NSW the engine was allowed to be within 15% increase of the largest size available which was obviously a 5L 308. The RTA told me because i hadnt used an aftermarket front end, (ie VP front end exactly same as a VK one) i was allowed to register it without a formal inspection, they didnt care about gearbox crossmembers. As long as all the new engines emissions gear was hooked up your good to go.

Interesting! Did you establish a new registration with blue slip or did you just update the engine details on an existing registration?

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,

Does this mean I can put a vp v6 in mine? :)

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Not saying you can't get away with putting it in, but an insurance company would have a field day if you were in an accident.

Why do you say that???

Well apparently you can do it legally, without it being engineered. I didn't know that.

I was more responding to the "paint it black and you'll be right" replies. The colour won't help you when it comes down to it if it's not legal.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
I just had the engine number and capacity changed on the current rego papers, i had to have a blue slip done to confirm the engine No i gave them was the same number on the engine itself. And then the RTA just updated the details on the rego papers, same deal with insurance, just told them the new engine no and capacity and it was all sweet, doesnt cost any more then before to insure. I will get it engineered as soon as i get off my P's however, just to avoid getting a pointless defect or questioned about whether its roadworthy.

And yeh Jono you should be, dunno what vicy laws are like though.

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
I'll look it up:) woo

Bastian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
lol he just wants it gone. Its been sitting there for about 3 years at his parents house.