Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

253 into a VK

Bastian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Now from my knowledge the VK was never released with the 253?

I have a mate that has one at his place that he ripped out of his VK SLE (originally a 6 cyl) to drop in a 308. Now he purchased the car with the 253 in it already. This motor has just been sitting at his house for the past few years and I can get it off him for only 50 bucks! He just wants it gone and can't find anyone that needs it.

I want to convert my VK to a V8 and even though it won't pack the punch of a 5 litre, the 253 should still give me that tough sound. I've briefly spoken to my mechanic about it and he reckons that I can't use this motor because its too pollutant a motor to meet regulations or something. He reckons the only cars that can have that motor these days are the ones with them already, or the actual car that came out with them. Is this the case or is he wrong? Am I able to put this 253 into my VK? Also if I can do I need an engineers certificate seeing as it should bolt straight in. Mechanic also told me that I wouldn't need an engineers certificate for a VN EFI 5L because they pretty much bolt straight in, just need the wiring loom.

Also seeing as though its only a baby 8 is it absolutely necessary to replace the diff, transmission etc or will the current gear be right to handle it? Will the transmission even bolt together or do I need a V8 trimatic?

Is the 253 an option or am I just wasting my time. I'm not so much after the power of the V8, more the sound!

Thanks in advance!

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Its illegal, cause Vks never had them. The mechanic is right. I dunno if the engineer would pass it.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
You see plenty of VKs with 253s so you could probably get away with it, but yeh technically illegal.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
^^ as above.
the 253 is barely distinguishable from a 308, particularly if you paint it black like the VK 5L

but if the authorities check the engine number, they will realise it's a pre-VK engine and then you might have some dramas.
308's are cheap these days, if you are going to the trouble of a V8 conversion, may as well spend a few hundred extra and enjoy the extra benefits of the extra cubes.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Well just to throw a spanner in the works. My VK is legally rego'd with a 253 in it! When I filled out the paperwork to change it to an 8, I used the number off a spare block I have. Regency got in contact with us and said the number doesn't belong to a 308. I checked the number and yeah he was right, it's a 253 number (turns out the block had been restamped). He said it doesn't matter, but just double check the number and get back to him. A few days later we received the new rego papers in the mail, with the rego changed to V8, and with the 253 engine number listed.

He said if we were putting a 253 in it we wouldn't have to put discs on the back coz they're slow (his exact words lol).

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
G'day, I had a vk with red 253 in it. I had no trouble with rego. As Darren_L Said" just paint it black". Thats what I did with mine. And just make saw the pollution gear is hook up. Cheers Jason

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
No reason at all you cant run it you just have to have to pollution gear all hooked up and workin that a vk v8 would have so a pollution manifold on it and it will be fine. and no your 6cyl gearbox wont bolt up.and you would have to check with vic roads as to what brakes to run as im not sure if they were different from 8 to 6 on the vk.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Because technically its illegal so that means instant insurance void. Youll be paying for that Merc or Audi "you didnt see".