Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

253 limitations????

lance panther

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk brock grp c
if there is any one out there that knows what limitations there are with big valve heads on a 2fa i'd like to know. i've heard of some interesting combinations to get some serious numbers outta 253's and i want to talk to anyone who has researched this b4.

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
the only thing is losing bottomend with big valves but its like any engine the only thig that lets the 253 down is the heads port the heads realy good and start from there

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
253's have a bad rep, but are more reliable than the 308. Same block with smaller bore = stronger block. Cam it with ported heads and it starts to play. And when modified right they scream, cause they are a square motor they rev VERY smooth. (my old 253 with nearly 400,000km on the clock idled smoother than my bro's VN).

Ive heard a story of someone being able to rev their heavily worked 253 all the way to 8000rpm with power being made cause of how smooth and square the motor was.

H1GHROLLR

CHEMICALLY SUPERCHARGED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX CLUBSPORT R8 LS1
253 have good rep for being a boat anchor lol i dont mind them tho

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
ive ridden in some pretty mean 253 street cars before good balance job and some good parts they are awesome for what they are

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yep the 304 with A9L rods will do over 8000 and a 253 with A9L rods will go higher than that. You need a valve train that wont break. Little solid cam, good valves/springs/retainers/collects etc so you can make the revs that bring the power/ All Holden V8's at those kind of revs sound intense :D

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I had a 253 in a LX Hatch that ran well into the 14's many moons ago. Didn't take much to get there - flat tops, nice port job on the heads/manifold and a mild cam + dizzy/carb tune to match.

Reaper